FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac pro

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Stewart
Mac pro
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:09:53 pm

Hey,
Does anyone here have any tea leaf abilities regarding SMAC and the Tube? I made a case for smoke last year but the whole 3-way AAF nightmare killed the dream. Now resolve 10 is moving into the online finishing space is there any chance of SMAC getting a proper grading toolset and becoming a contender powerhouse to fight them off?

I've not given up on the one program finish dream - and smoke is still the closest. It's been sat half an inch from the finish line for ages - but while coloring needs to bounce out and back and check and what happened there.. Ain't gonna happen for me. Not trying to diss SMAC CC - just saying its losing in my house to DVR. And you know, lustre is right there like the missing tire the car need to win the race..
Surely the tube is a chance to think again? It would be a killer smoke box surely.. They're not going to let DV take it without a fight right?

Return to posts index

ross daly
Re: Mac pro
on Jun 12, 2013 at 8:14:02 pm

I've got a friend who has a friend who says he has worked on / seen smac running on the new hardware and they reported that it screams. Nothing more scientific or precise than that, but it's a shadow of a rumor of a good thing.

I've got no idea on the color tools though. I want xml out much more than a better grader, because that would allow me to use whatever I wanted while discreet is building up their color tool.

Return to posts index

dermot shane
Re: Mac pro
on Jul 21, 2013 at 4:23:26 pm

I've conformed / graded / finished 5 x MoW's, 1 x indie feature and a TON of TVC's (there was an election localy) so far this year, booked for another 8 MoW's up to Christmas.. all by myself, all done in Avid|DS top to tail.

the other two DS's are booked to the new year with two series, conform / grade / finish all in the box, with a Jr /conform guy, a colorist, & a finishing artist spliting the workload between three machines with seamless project shareing.

So yea it's more than possiable to do it all in one box, and do it o a high standard.. i at DS + FusionLink surface is (Digital Fusion's toolset running inside DS) and a color / transport surface... color is all RT, responce from the surfaces is transparent...

I demo'd smack a few weeks ago, had it set up in my suite with an experianced artist, and we just tried to do the same real world job from a week before.... smack is absurdly slow when side by side with DS

There's a reason why we get as much done & done quickly and done well, and see a reasonable RoI on the gear

d

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]