FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF codec support

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Lamb
MXF codec support
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:57:17 pm

Hi!

I have a show that was shot using the Sony SR-R1 portable recorder. It records 444 SStP Uncompressed MXF files. I've been finishing the show up to now in Media Composer, but it requires a specific folder structure to link to via AMA and it's driving our data guys nuts.

I wanted to take a stab at it in Smoke hoping it would be a little less strict on the folder structure side of things, but I can't get any clips to import.

Is this codec supported? If not, any news of support on the future?

thanks,

-Ian

Return to posts index

ross daly
Re: MXF codec support
on Jun 12, 2013 at 8:00:26 pm

Hi Ian,
I think the problem isn't with Avid or Smoke, it's with MXF. From what I know, MXF is like an xml container that links to separate video and audio assets. The folder structure is super important, and can't be changed without breaking things. Everything I shoot on mxf I transcode on ingest. It sounds like it may be too late for this job, is that possible in the future?

I can't imagine quad 4 prores (or similar) would be bad in terms of data loss, and it would greatly ease the troubles.

Return to posts index

Ian Lamb
on Jun 12, 2013 at 8:44:00 pm

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the reply! I kept the folder structure intact just in case that was the issue and smoke still won't recognize it. Frustrating that quicktime player opens it up fine (odd for a MXF format) but smoke draws a blank. I'm trying to keep from transcoding all the media to save storage space and the client is adamant about re-linking to original camera masters for conform and color.

Maybe new codec support was added with extension 1... I haven't tried that out yet.

Return to posts index

ross daly
on Jun 13, 2013 at 2:59:41 pm

Hi Ian,

I just found this, and it may be what you are looking for. If you have the maintenance contract, then you should definitely get ext 1.

"Updated support for Avid Intermediate (transcoded) MXF media files. You can now import Avid intermediate clips encoded with XD CAM HD and XD Cam EX codecs. You can import AVC-Intra 50, AVC-Intra 100, & DNxHD encoded intermediates as well."

From here
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/extension-release-for-autodesk-smoke-2013-n...

Good luck!

Return to posts index

dermot shane
on Jun 22, 2013 at 2:07:07 pm

maybe for this one, drop Smoke and use DS? Bonus is better intragation with MC via AFE - speed ramps & effects come across mostly intact, and it runs DNX 444

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]