FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there an easy way to parent to a tracker Axis without having the object jump?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Is there an easy way to parent to a tracker Axis without having the object jump?
on May 2, 2013 at 10:57:42 pm

One thing that has constantly frustrated me is how, when placing an item within a composite, or a Gmask for a roto, once a tracking Axis is parented, the object jumps away and then has to be manually placed back where it was.

Is there any workflow, or fast method that exists to have this NOT happen?

Like in After Effects, where two items can be placed wherever you want, and then once an item is parented it just STAYS where it is, and then follows along?

I'm aware of the 'workaround' of creating another axis and then manually inputting each position, Scale, and rotation with a negative value, but this is a ridiculous amount of extra inputting and clicking just to have my object be back where I originally wanted it and placed it in the first place. Not to mention the fact that if there is scaling going on in the tracker, then inputting the 'offset' scale isn't as simple as just copying in the value and putting a negative sign in front of it.

Is there some order of operations or something else that could be done differently to have this work more in the way I'm describing?

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Is there an easy way to parent to a tracker Axis without having the object jump?
on May 3, 2013 at 9:51:12 am

Hi Dustin,

From what you are describing, I believe you are referring to Gmasks?

With Axis tracking in Gmasks, there are two workflows available to you.

1) Track the main axis that gets created with the Gmask.
--- In this case before you go into the object tracker, ensure that the ADJ OFFSET is enabled. This means that after the track, the Gmask will be offset against the track which keeps it in position.

2)Adding a "master" axis to track your geometry.
--- So basically in the Gmask Schematic, you add another axis and parent it to the axis of the gmask. Before you go into the object tracker, change the offset option to ADJ AXIS. This means that the gmask's original axis will be offset against the tracking axis and things should stay in position.

The reason why all of this happens is when you do a track, the center axis always shifts to the tracking reference and does not stay in the middle of the image. This is the reason why things shift and you were told the workaround to add another axis and invert the X & Y position numbers in the first frame to put it back again.

Hopefully these offset settings will help you.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: Is there an easy way to parent to a tracker Axis without having the object jump?
on May 3, 2013 at 9:47:56 pm

I see the Offset options within a Gmask node, but I'm trying to track an element in Action, and I don't see that option in there.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on May 4, 2013 at 6:16:27 pm

Hi,

Normally you dont see the offset issue in action that much but alas it still does happen.

The option i mentioned is only in the gmask tool.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jun 3, 2013 at 1:06:57 am

So when you say that it usually isn't an issue in Action, I'm curious how that's the case. It's in Action where I'm always having this issue.

What I'm trying to achieve, that I can't seem to find an easy solution for, is that I'm trying to take a freeze frame, pipe it into action and track it using another Axis, BUT I want to be able to line it up EXACTLY on the frame where I grabbed the freeze frame from, and I don't want to have to do this manually with a difference blend mode or something because that is ridiculous.

If all you're doing is a position track, then it is somewhat straightforward in that you have to type in the opposite values for X and Y as the track, which is still ridiculous to have to do that manual step -- But, the issue comes in what you do a track that incorporates Scale and Rotation as well. How are you supposed invert the values back to a place where the element you're trying to parent isn't being offset in any way?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]