FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to use Reference Buffer??

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
How to use Reference Buffer??
on May 2, 2013 at 7:57:14 pm

I can never seem to get the Reference Buffer to work in either Smoke or Flame.

The option always says "Reference Buffer Off" and the Grab command never grabs a frame.

Anyone have any ideas why that would be?

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: How to use Reference Buffer??
on May 3, 2013 at 9:40:39 am

The grab reference buffer works in CFX and some modules in the tools menu but not in the sequence.

An easy example I can think of to show how it works is colour correction in CFX.

So you have added a CC to your node tree and you are inside the tool before any corrections have taken place. Make sure that the view you want to grab is selected.

Go to the View menu and click GRAB under the reference buffer. You must enable SPLIT BAR as well.

You will now see a split bar at the bottom of the viewer as well as a new menu called REFERENCE just above the GRID and VIEW buttons. This will be set to GRAB 1.

Exit the view menu and do a colour correction. If you drag the split bar you can see how you can compare your live correction to the grabbed reference.

Just a side node, the USE REFERENCE BUFFER which is greyed out appears to be applicable when using LUTs so in most cases you don't need to worry about that option.

Oh, and you can only grab 1 frame for the buffer at anytime. not sure if it is a bug because there are previous and next buttons but they dont work.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on May 3, 2013 at 11:59:48 pm

So what would be an elegant approach if I wanted to reference a frame from somewhere else in my project in CFX/BFX for instance? Or if I were trying to color match a clip with another clip from within CFX?

From what I read in the Flame help documentation, it seems to be describing what I'm looking for, but in practice I can't really get it to do much of anything.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on May 4, 2013 at 6:17:49 pm

Well, you could be looking at any view in CFX. When you press the grab button it will capture that frame.

You should now be able to go somewhere else in CFX and use the method I mentioned earlier with the Split bar and that should do the trick.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]