I am working on a maxed out 2013 iMAC without a RED Rocket. I am using Smoke 2013 SP2.2. Also, the project is a commercial so there is only around 100 shots. Any ideas on the best way to sync audio, offline edit in Smoke 2013, then finish in Smoke as well? I really just need the steps layed out for me so I know I'm doing the correct thing at the front, so the backend doesn't get wonkier than it has to be. Any help ASAP would be amazing. Thanks Cow!
I can certainly give you a bullet point breakdown but you need to be aware of the details when it comes to working with RED which I certainly cant type out....
Here is a basic outline.
1. Import your R3D material in at 1/4 debayer or a setting to give you small versions to work with.
2. Edit into a sequence of the same resolution to the r3D material
3. You can do timeline effects but keep CFX to a minimum as its slightly manual to fix when you upscale.
4. Once the edit is complete make a duplicate of the sequence as a backup for the next steps.
5. Select the sequence and unlink everything from the sequence.
6. Select the unlink sequence and reformat it to the intended final resolution.
7. With the new resolution, you go to the Conform menu and set a search location.
8. In the browser, find all your red media and set the final resolution (debayer) settings in the Format Specific tab.
9. Hopefully when you press OK, Smoke will find all the files and you need to Link the files to the sequence.
10. You should now have a reconformed sequence.
11. To speed things up, I would optimise the media at this point.
12. Select the whole sequence in the timeline view and consolidate it with frame handles to what you need.
13. Select the sequence and CACHE the source media.
14. Once these processes are over, you can now start going through the programme, building and finishing the effects including CFX.
I liked yor explanation a lot. I´ve just left the studio on which we captured a lot of green screen 4K footage on red. The files will be sent to editing and I preserved a copy of it, to make the fx work on smoke 2013 ext1 in an Imac. I´m not sure about the workflow of conforming and importing r3d files in Smoke, and it would be great if you could light this path with your step by step advices. Best regards.
Hi, I'm learning conform with Smoke Mac EX1.
I have a question about R3D conform workflow.
When I import the R3D files, the message always shows that "Unable to read Media". Wherever the source is on my Raid or the network station, the message shows this.
Source: Red Epic, 4K
Software: Smoke 2013 EX1, without Red Rocket.
I also wonder that if I install Red Rocket, can it help me to solve this problem?