FORUMS: list search recent posts

two questions

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
keith mottram
two questions
on May 1, 2013 at 1:11:09 pm

the first is more pressing. Since reinstalling I have had no audio- I have checked the setup and it is set to core audio (I have a BM not Kona card) and I can see the meters going but no sound can be heard.

Second is about photoshop style modes if I want to screen some grain over some footage what is the best way? Do I need to do a connect FX to the original footage and make a comp with the grain or can I just change the mode of the grain layer?

thanks

Keith Mottram

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: two questions
on May 1, 2013 at 1:34:22 pm

Hi Keith,

When Smoke is set to CORE AUDIO, it is using the onboard sound card of your machine and not the blackmagic hardware. Seeing the audio meters moving is an indication that Smoke sees and plays the sound but it is playing through the mac motherboard.

With regards to the grain. Are you asking what method is the best or ask you asking for the photoshop layer modes.

If you are looking for the Photoshop layer modes, they are available in the BLEND & COMP node if you are just layering one image over another. Or if you are in the action compositor, you will find it in the surface menu for the grain image.

By default, the transfer modes are set to Flame but you can switch the modes to photoshop and all the matching transfer modes should be there for you to access.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on May 1, 2013 at 2:12:14 pm

Grant that's very helpful thank you. The reason I am struggling to understand the audio situation is that I have core audio selected and can hear audio through my speakers in other programmes (desktop audio- rather than via BM card) therfor cannot understand if I can see meters going why I cannot hear- as further example I can click my audio up and down with the keyboard and hear it beep! Hence the mystery.

I ended up using the regrain filtre as its pretty good and need to spend more time with connect fx to understand the blend and comp as managed to get it working but the modes never looked right- I had grain layer in input 1 footage in input 2 and set modes to PS style and Screen, but it just looked washed out rather than simply screened- will dig further.

I have a final question though outputted to ProResHQ full HD and there is a massive colour shift. Do I need to set something up in the render to move it from rec709 to RBG or something? this is for web delivery...

Return to posts index

Anders Utterstrom
on May 1, 2013 at 4:07:47 pm

keith, just make sure that you have chosen the right audio output in your smoke preferences. This drove mad a while ago. Such a little thing made me tear my hair out. Same thing with eyeTV, if you use that product. Ciao

Anders Utterstrom
Chicago, Illinois

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on May 3, 2013 at 9:19:09 am

Hi Keith,

I have also replied to you on AREA.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos