FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve to Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Glucksman
Resolve to Smoke
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:08:36 am

Hi, folks. Sorry if this topic is worn. I'm new to Smoke (literally day 2 of the 30 day free trial before I decide to invest in it). I wanted to take a small project I have in Resolve & take it over to Smoke for further work. Is that even possible without first rendering the media out of Resolve? Ideally I'd only render one time when everything is done. Does Smoke read CDLs, or is there some other way to send from Resolve & maintain everything I did in it?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Resolve to Smoke
on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:07:04 am

Hi Jesse,

To get the timeline out of resolve and into Smoke, you would export an XML.

As for the grading, Smoke can support the EDLs to my knowledge but if there is alot going on, I have no idea how it will look.

I do know that if you render your grade onto the shots and export a XML, Smoke should be able to rebuild the timeline with the graded media so that you can continue to work in Smoke.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:53:09 pm

Yes and no--part of the issue here is that I'm running Resolve Lite on this project and I have to deliver a 2k render, which I'd need the full Resolve for. Doesn't make sense to render in 1920x1080, bring to Smoke and then upres to 2k for final delivery.

You seem to imply that Smoke may be able to read basic grades from Resolve, which is the extent of this scene so I'll give it a go. So you recommend an XML and an EDL? Worst comes to worst I have a crash course in Smoke since I'll have to re-color the scene.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:18:24 pm

Smoke will not read Resolve's grades, but it will read Resolve's New Graded Renders.

But you're right - the 2K thing will definitely trip you up if using Resolve Lite. (Those extra 64 pixels on each side can be a real pain in the arse!)

Not sure what your source footage is, but Smoke can probably handle it.

Smoke's Color Warper is pretty good, and you can do masking with gap effects on the timeline layers above, but you'll probably find it a bit clunkier and slower than grading in Resolve.

Here's a tip: Use the "WIPE" FX on gap layers to create "power windows" for grading. To speed things up, reset your Default WIPE to SMPTE 120, which is an oval. This will create an oval wipe that starts at frame 1 and finishes on the last frame of the gap effect. Obviously, that's not what you want - but as soon as you enter the wipe module, at the bottom right, choose ALL NODES, then RESET the WIPE, and it will become a large static oval. Then you can quickly resize, reposition, add softness, tracking, etc...

Then pull the COLOR of the wipe down to 0 (Black). Press F3 to see your matte - it should be a black oval on a white background. This seems backwards, but the black area is what you will be grading. So if you are grading inside the window, you're good to go. If you want to grade outside (to add a vignette for example), click the OUTSIDE button, and the matte will reverse.

Then add a COLOR WARPER effect to the gap and you should be affecting only the windowed area.

If you change the main grade on the media layer below, the change will ripple up through the window.

Good luck!

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on May 1, 2013 at 9:56:40 pm

It's just r3d media from a Scarlett or Mysterium, so no doubt Smoke can handle it. Looks like I'll have to re-build my color in Smoke, so thank you for the tips on how to do grading in it!

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:16:10 pm

I recently did this workflow on a low budget feature - shot on Red at 4.5 K.

I sent from FCP to Resolve, did the primary grading, then rendered out 2k files at ProRes 4444.

The plan was to send an XML from Resolve to Smoke, where I would do FX work, incorporate some odd B-roll footage, final conform, adjustment layer grades, titling, etc...

(This was all being done on an iMac with an AJA ioXT box - so I could not see the Resolve grading on a proper monitor, so I pretty much went for a conservative approach - just balancing out all of the shots and not crushing or clipping, and then used Smoke to dial in the scenes' looks. It was quite easy to add an adjustment layer to affect the entire scene, since everything had already been balanced in Resolve.)

For some reason, Smoke kept crashing whenever trying to read the XML from Resolve. As a workaround, I sent the XML from Resolve to FCP, imported that, relinked media, and then exported an FCP XML to Smoke - and it worked perfectly. No idea why, however, but it worked.

But you defintiely will have to render out of Resolve - Smoke will not read your Resolve grades and work with the same raw footage. In my case, being able to work in ProRes was a lifesaver - no way I had enough storage to work in DPX on a feature.

Good luck!

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:40:04 pm

Hi David,

Can you send me the two XMLs?

The one from Resolve that was crashing Smoke and the other from FCP re-exporting the Resolve edit.

I want the team to look at it so we can "resolve" the bug ? (sorry, had to do it!)

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]