FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to see the Primary/Secondary Blend while working in an Axis Soft Effect?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Is it possible to see the Primary/Secondary Blend while working in an Axis Soft Effect?
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:52:48 pm

I've got a conform I'm working on from an Avid AAF, and there are some repositions and animated reframes on certain shots that I've got to match. The keyframes from the AAF came in, so I have a reference of where the animation is, but some of them didn't come in correctly so I've got to tweak the animation curves to match.

The problem I'm running into is that when I step into the editor for the Axis effect, I lose the ability to see my shot blended with my reference shot, to know if I'm lining things up properly.

I was wondering how do people usually go about something like this?

It's nice that in the Timewarp editor, when you're working with the animation curves, you can still see the Blend with a reference track, but in the Axis editor you lose this ability.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: Is it possible to see the Primary/Secondary Blend while working in an Axis Soft Effect?
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:57:00 pm

Also, slightly related question as I'm tweaking this shot....

Is it possible to edit the tangent handles of the scale channel UNIFORMLY rather than having the X and Y fall out of lock? I'm just trying to tweak the overall curve of a scale, but it keeps only tweaking either X or Y. Proportional is indeed toggled for the scale in the editor.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Is it possible to see the Primary/Secondary Blend while working in an Axis Soft Effect?
on Apr 25, 2013 at 7:10:37 pm

Try and set the view to Context instead of Preview effects. That should allow you to see what you need as long as the views are set in the main viewer.

But for simple repos the mini axis controls above the TL should be workable.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Apr 25, 2013 at 7:15:22 pm

All Context seems to do is trim the edges of the scaling so I am seeing the final scale effect, but doesn't seem to bring back my Version track Blend.

What views need to be set in the Main Viewer?

Also? Any idea about that uniform scaling when editing tangent handles in the Animation Curves?

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:02:07 am

Hi Dustin,

in the main viewer when looking at the sequence, you can do the blend comparison but when you step into the axis editor, I believe because it is a separate effect, the viewer blending is disabled.

The mini-UI in the sequence would be your best bet to to some of the matches. However, if you are really needing to see the the off-line in the axis effect, as a workaround, you could add the offline to the layer below and just drop the transparency temporarily of the online to do a match. That's what I do in Photoshop all the time :)

As for the animation.... When you are in the UI, you have go the PROP button to lock the X & Y during adjusting.

When you are in the animation editor, you are working on specific channels which actually bear no relation to each other.

However I believe there is still a way to move them proportionately.

Make sure you can see the curves from both sale X and Scale Y channels.

Now either select both channels completely if it is an entire off-set or select the specific keyframes in the X scale and Y scale channel.

To the right of the curve editor, you can change the cursor behaviour to TRANSLATE. This means that the keyframes/curves will not be deselected. As you adjustment they should keep proportionally offset.

I know its a lot of text but it is actually a very quick operation to do.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]