FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noob -- no real time anything? How do I send something to back burner?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomberlin
Noob -- no real time anything? How do I send something to back burner?
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:02:19 am

I've been playing with Smoke off and on just a bit. What kind of real time performance should I expect with DNXHD 175x footage on a 12-core Mac with 48GB ram and a GTX580? I can't even get a real time fade to black at the moment so I really hope I'm doing something wrong. I can do a lot more than a fade in real time on the same machine with Avid or FCP.

Also, is it possible to background render on the same machine you're working on with Backburner? I can't seem to find much information on how Backburner works, how to set it up and most curious, how to even send something to a background queue from Smoke. I'm not an idiot but am new with Smoke and having some trouble sorting this out.

Thanks in advance for any help

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Noob -- no real time anything? How do I send something to back burner?
on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:17:48 pm

Backburner handles caching and proxy renders as well as export. It does not handle Rendering.

If you cache media when you import it will send to backburner the job. You can also right click on a clip in the library and MEDIA>Cache Source Media.

Backburner should be set up already as the Smoke install handles that, but it can be flakey due to your systems network config.

You can see any current jobs in the Jobs tab in Media Hub.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:20:27 pm

Brian,

Thanks so much for the info. What about real-time playback? Shouldn't I at least be able to get a dissolve to play out to the Kona card without having to render?? On the same system, Avid, FCP, Resolve, etc. are all capable of that. Is Smoke not able to do that?

Thanks

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:29:39 pm

Providing that you don't have any other effects you should be fine.
Is the a RZ or anything on the clips?

Smoke at times does like it if you render. It's kind of a render as you go type of workflow. But it's a fast render

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Apr 6, 2013 at 1:18:41 am

Yeah, I was having the same problem, pretty much you have to click on render if you want to see a dissolve or any filter, I noticed that Smoke adds a resize node even if it doesn't need to sometimes.
Is there a way to have it set up to render automatically, I don't want to hit render every time

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Apr 6, 2013 at 1:22:49 am

There is always a reason for the resize. A resize is added when source clips don't match the sequence settings. This could be because of resolution, bit rate, or field dominance. If its framerate, then a TW will be added.

You can CMD+A to select all ithe timeline and you can hit render.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Apr 6, 2013 at 6:11:25 am

That's what I thought too, the clips are 1280 X 720 and I set the timeline to the same size, but I think it was adjusting the PAR, although I couldn't find any info on that in the timeline settings.
The resize filter's values are all at zero though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]