FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to 'Invert Stabilization' of a 4-point bilinear to work on something as a still frame?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Is it possible to 'Invert Stabilization' of a 4-point bilinear to work on something as a still frame?
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:36:19 pm

Joel's tutorial about using a stabilization and then inverting it in the end as a roto helper was really helpful.

http://joelosis.com/2d-stabilization-roto-helper/

I was wondering, is it possible to do the same thing with a 4 corner pin? This is a technique I use all the time with Mocha and After Effects, to be able to stabilize an element, or a wall, or whatever, and then be able to work on it as if it's a still frame, where I can really get in there and get crazy with paint and masks and color corrections, all without having to actually worry about the movement in the frame. It's also really helpful for Logo touchups and replacements on products (which is what I'm trying to figure out how to do now).

Is this possible in Smoke/Flame?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Is it possible to 'Invert Stabilization' of a 4-point bilinear to work on something as a still frame?
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:44:38 pm

SHould work with the same technique. You obviously won;t need to do a 4 point track... just manually corner pin with Bilinear.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: Is it possible to 'Invert Stabilization' of a 4-point bilinear to work on something as a still frame?
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:54:48 pm

I'm not seeing an 'invert stabilization' option like what you get with the 2D Transform. And in the 2D transform, you only get 2 points, not 4.

In the particular shot I'm working on, I would want to track the 4 points of the object, because someone is holding a product and it is moving in the shot. What I'm hoping to achieve is to track the object, view it as a stabilized 'un-distorted' version of itself, (which will obviously be stretched and deformed relative to the shot) hopefully created an orthogonal view of the package. Then I can do all my paint and tweaking on this 'flattened' still image, and then reapply the inverted 4 corner pin to get it to sit right in perspective and motion in the shot again.

I want to be able to do this with a piece of moving footage, and not a still frame, because there is shadowing, highlights, shading, etc... that are happening to the product in the shot as well, all of which I want to maintain, which is why I'm not just tracking in a painted still frame.

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
on Apr 2, 2013 at 11:20:50 pm

unfortunately as far as i know its not possible using a 4 point bilinear, there is a technique in flame you can use using the gmask tool inside of action but its flame only :(

w: http://www.joelosis.com
e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Apr 2, 2013 at 11:24:08 pm

What's the technique in Flame? I'm actually doing the shot on a Flame right now.

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
on Apr 3, 2013 at 12:02:24 am

so using the gmask node from the action bin, track your footage , then take the axis with the data and make it the parent to the source image, then go into the animation channels and negate the keyframes

e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Apr 3, 2013 at 12:25:03 am

Within the Action Gmask node, are you saying to tracking using the Axis Stabilizer, or Vertex Tracking? The Axis Stabilizer in the Action Gmask node still only has 2 points to track. I tracked 4 Vertices, but that animation seems to only be under 'Shape' in the animation channels and not under any Axis.

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
on Apr 3, 2013 at 12:28:03 am

no i mean the flame gmask in the action bin tools, the one that does 3d/planar tracking

e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
on Apr 3, 2013 at 12:29:34 am

what i am saying is retrack it with the flame only gmask tool and then negate ur keyframes, this will work because this tool takes into account scale and shear

e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Apr 3, 2013 at 12:57:56 am

Ah I see. Doesn't quite work in my case, but good to know about. How would I go about getting the original transformations in the shot back after I've negated the keyframes? I'm assuming it's another Axis with the keyframes negated back, but can't seem to find where to place the Axis to get the motion back.

If the corner pin data was derived from Mocha, would there be a way to invert that?

A related question -- Is there a way, when corner pin tracking with the Bilinear, to have it leave a current frame in place? For instance, if the element that I'm tracking in has already been placed within the shot on a given frame, and just needs to be tracked in from there? It seems that I'm always having to eyeball it back into place because of the nature of the Bilinear coming from the corners.

Is the Bilinear surface in Action the only place where you can access 4 points for a Corner Pin in Flame?

Thanks for the help guys.

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
on Apr 3, 2013 at 10:14:15 pm

hey man, sorry for the late reply,
to get the movement back you are right you copy the negated keyframes then negate them again, probably in an action after you have done your paint and cleanup

e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]