FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke started running extremely slow

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Burrell
Smoke started running extremely slow
on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:04:08 pm

I've had smoke installed for a couple of months now, and just in the last day it has started to run very slow any time I try to do anything in connectFX, especially the color warper or color correcting. Just boosting the white a touch gives me the spinning beach ball for at least 15 or 20 seconds, sometimes longer. Everything else is running fine on the computer, it seems to just be smoke that's having a hard time. I've restarted a couple of times with no impact.

Mid 2010 MacPro
2x2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
32 GB ram
ATI Radeon HD 5879 1024 MB
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

Based on a suggestion in another post having similar issues, i went into the smoke setup and allocated 24 gigs of memory to smoke. That didn't seem to have much of an impact.

Return to posts index

Adam Corey
Re: Smoke started running extremely slow
on Mar 14, 2013 at 3:58:07 am

I have 3 Smoke Mac Systems. 2 running nvidia Quadro 4000 cards, the other was using the ATI Radeon 5770. I was having the same issues with Color Warper in CFX on the system with Radeon card. 2 weeks ago I switched the Radeon card to a $450, off the shelf, 2 gig, EVGA, NVIDIA GTX 680. Problem solved. As long as you're running OS X 10.8.x it's plug and play and more robust than the Quadro cards I paid almost 2k each for 2 years ago.

Adam Corey
DC Collective
Design - Edit - Create
http://www.dccollective.tv

Return to posts index

Daniel Burrell
on Mar 14, 2013 at 4:14:52 pm

Does that card have a minidisplay port on it for an Apple cinema display? The ones that i saw when I looked around only had 2 hdmi and 2 DVI.

Return to posts index

Adam Corey
on Mar 15, 2013 at 12:52:39 am

The card does not have a mini display port. I bought the Atlona AT-DP400 converter (amazon), but I haven't had a chance to test it yet (I switched the 27" mac monitor with 30" HP that has a DVI port for the short term).

Adam Corey
DC Collective
Design - Edit - Create
http://www.dccollective.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]