FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are people running Smoke on a new iMac?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MichaelMaier
Are people running Smoke on a new iMac?
on Mar 7, 2013 at 1:17:25 am

What are people doing since Apple released the paper thin iMacs? Before, with the aluminum body thicker version I saw people were kind of moving on from Mac Pros to the iMac. But now? How much of a workstation is that? It's clearly a consumer product. How to expand with cards etc? Is it robust enough for serious FX work? I very much doubt it.
Or is everybody just running old Mac Pros?

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Are people running Smoke on a new iMac?
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:45:37 am

Well, I don't have one now but last week I played with one of these new iMacs connected with a Promise thunderbolt. Smoke was running on the SSD drive and it was very responsive. I didn't check what graphics card it was running but it certainly felt usable for moderate level work.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:50:27 am

I agree w Grant. I have a top of the line iMac (32 g ram, fusion drive, tbolt raid)) as a 2nd station, and I've been running 2013 in demo mode.

It starts to bog down with very large projects (feature length finish), or complex FX, but for 95% of my work, it's pretty sweet.

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:17:03 am

Yes, but is it one of the new slim iMac which don't even have a CDOM?
How do you preview video with an iMac? Thunderbolt? Because you can't just slap on an AJA card.

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:27:24 pm

Yes - it's a slim iMac without a DVD drive or FW ports. a thunderbolt to FW adapter does the job nicely, and video output is through AJA ioXT Thunderbolt device. A told, it's about $5k for my system, and then the Smoke license would be $3500 more, of course...

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]