FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking Files!

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Gaumond
Relinking Files!
on Mar 3, 2013 at 8:28:49 pm

Hi, I recently had to migrate a smoke system from one drive to another and now all my files no longer point to anyhting. The file structure and drive name is exactly the same, however I do understand that I need to relink everything.

How is that done, I am not seeing the option. I can't seem to find any documentation on the matter pertaining to 2013.

Return to posts index

Mike Roy
Re: Relinking Files!
on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:47:39 am

I think, after hearing your issue, that the workflow to relink the files would be in two parts: adding the new drive as a media location, and then pointing your clips to that location.

1. Without Smoke running, go to the Autodesk Smoke Setup utility that was installed along with Smoke. In the "Media Storage" tab, add the new media location so that Smoke knows it's there.

2. Start Smoke. In the splash dialog where you see the project and user, you should also see the new media location in the Media Storage at the bottom of the screen.... make sure that's selected then start Smoke.

3. In Smoke, select your library to relink on the left and go to the conform tab. You should be able to set the source library for the relinking with the "Set Search Location" button. After that, conform should be able to see and relink your media.

Here is a post that describes the first part of this workflow, on the Smoke Learning Channel:

Since i'm not able to reproduce your situation exactly, this may not be exact but it should get you on the right track... let us know how it goes.

Mike Roy

Return to posts index

Martin Gaumond
on Mar 4, 2013 at 6:29:22 pm

Thanks for the reply, I should have probably specified the reason for needing to move the files, my macintosh hd drive on which smoke was installed was becoming unreliable and as a result smoke was having difficulties stating and would crash almost instantly and the OS would freeze.

I needed a fresh drive with a new OS install.

I backed up the discreet folder and copied the 4 folders in old discreet to the new discreet folder. The system was not stable enough to archive a project.

The files in the mediahub are not linked.

Perhaps this is flaw in my workflow but I Import (no transcoding) my sources to the library and then conform from the library.

So essentially my library files no longer point to anything and thus my sequences are empty.

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
on Mar 5, 2013 at 1:16:13 pm

Hi Martin.

Let me make sure I understand what you did: so you backed up the /usr/discreet/ folder on the old drive, then installed OS X on the new drive, then reinstalled Smoke and finally overwrote /usr/discreet on the new drive with the back-up from the old drive. Is that correct?

Did you back up the entire /usr/discreet folder or just certain subfolders. If so, which subfolders? Did you include /usr/discreet/cfg, /usr/discreet/sw/swdb and /usr/discreet/sw/cfg in your backup? Those are very important in making the connection between frames in your projects and frame files on the media storage drive.

Moreover, did you make sure that the media storage drive mounted to the exact same path as on the old OS?

Regards,
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support
http://www.facebook.com/AutodeskMECF

Return to posts index

Martin Gaumond
on Mar 5, 2013 at 6:59:00 pm

Here is what I did:

1. Backed up entire discreet folder just in case to another driver
2. Installed OSX and smoke on new drive
3. copied the 4 directories you mentioned to the new discreet folder

The media storage drive is the same one used before, nothing has changed on that drive. The

4. I restored the project workspaces of my projects. The cached mediafiles work in the timeline but the mediahub source files do not point to anything. I am met with the "Cannot Read Media"

Update
I manually reimported all the files and they work now. I would only see this as an option because it is a short film. I would not like to have to do that in a longer project.

So in short I found a workaround but it is not a viable solution for my longer projects.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
on Mar 5, 2013 at 7:18:33 pm

Thanks for the details Martin. Did you also mount the source media drive to the same mount point as before?

regards,
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support
http://www.facebook.com/AutodeskMECF

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]