FORUMS: list search recent posts

Few bugs I'm noticing on my seat of Smoke for Mac 2013

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Few bugs I'm noticing on my seat of Smoke for Mac 2013
on Feb 21, 2013 at 5:47:48 am

Can't cache source media - When I try to import footage from the media hub with 'Cache Source Media' toggled, I get an error that says "cannot connect to backburner 'localhost' on port 0" and it doesn't transcode.

Auto Stabilize - Whenever I try and do an Auto Stabilize from within ConnectFX, I keep getting the error "Cannot read all frames required for analysis."

Color Warper - Whenever I access the Color Warper from within ConnectFX, if I touch any of the parameters to try and change the color, I just get a spinning beach ball for a few seconds, and then nothing happens.

Anyone else having any of these issues?

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
Re: Few bugs I'm noticing on my seat of Smoke for Mac 2013
on Feb 21, 2013 at 8:05:37 am

Can't cache source media- heres a link to an article which should help

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-smoke/smoke-2013/backburner-issues-...

Auto Stabilize- may be directly related to the first problem

Color Warper- are you using an AMD gfx card, if so then this is a known issue

w: http://www.joelosis.com
e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:38:59 pm

Went through the backburner guide and I think I got it set up and working.

Was curious, is there an easy way within Smoke to tell which footage is cached and which isn't?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:43:47 pm

Cached sources will have a DARK gray icon for MOV or MXF and uncached sources will be light gray.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Mar 21, 2014 at 12:56:11 am

Any chance you know where this article can be re-located? It's off the site but I'm having the same "port 0" issue. We just moved offices and the server that this renders to, while the same name, could have a different IP number. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Mike Roy
on Feb 23, 2013 at 11:01:39 pm

What hardware and software version are you running Smoke on?

For the auto stabilize error, are you using footage that has been soft imported or cached? If it is soft imported it may not want to stabilize it.

For the caching error, you might try restarting or stopping backburner to see if you get the same error. To do this access the autodesk service monitor (via the launcher or type "Service Monitor" in Spotlight search).
If you find that your Backburner services can't start, you may have an installation or configuration problem.

I don't know what media you're working with, but if you're dealing with un-cached media within Connect FX things like Color Warper interaction gets a bit more dicey. See if you can get the caching working and see if those problems are helped any.

Mike Roy

Return to posts index

Douglas Gentry
on Mar 3, 2013 at 4:09:55 pm

Just curious, has anyone had the stone+wire issue? I've been trying to support someone in solving the issue, can't seem to get it sorted.

The student is on a new imac, and in spite of all of the great support from people, we cannot determine the issue. We've uninstalled, reinstalled the OS an d Smoke 2013 countless times. We must be missing something really obvious, I'm sure it will turn up soon. In the meantime it is like an itch that you can't reach....drives me crazy.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Roy
on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:59:01 am

The new Service Pack 2 is available from the Autodesk website... there are a number of bug fixes, including a few that may be related to your issue. You can link to the downloads and the readme file from this page:

http://www.smoketutorials.com/smoke-2013-service-pack-2-available

I'm also curious, because you mentioned that a student was using it on an imac... there might possibly be a permissions related issue with the stone+wire. Have you gotten the same error when running Smoke as an admin as opposed to a restricted student login?

Also, see if you can start the console and see what error messages might be in there that may be related to the issue. Look for "autodesk" and "stone+wire".

You can also try starting the Autodesk Service Monitor and in the Troubleshooting tab, clicking the button to send a report to Autodesk.

Let us know how it goes....Mike

Mike Roy

Return to posts index

Douglas Gentry
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:05:39 pm

It is not the admin issue, but that might cause it in some situations. This student has a stand alone machine with admin rights (permission give to set up the machine based on prior history).

What happened next was the screen "ghosting" of images suddenly got really persistent, and trouble shooting would only fix it for a moment, sometimes it would come back with a strip of green on the monitor and looking worse than before the fix.

The machine is a 6 week old, late model 2012 Imac, full specks on ram and graphics cards. Apple in the USA told me to take it back and get a new machine, so I m doing that, but in Asia. In 2 weeks I will try to set it up again.

The stone+wire problem is a known bug (so I've been told) on the iMac, so maybe this is why Smoke only worked for about 3 weeks. We ruled out the modem / static IP address issues, and many more. I dumped the projects and reinstalled several times.

When I get the new machine back I will start with a fresh download of Smoke and the service packs, then hope for the best. It is frustrating to see a student work so hard on this only to have so many issues.Im starting to think it was a hardware issue, and that perhaps the iMac in question is just a lemon.

I will report back what I find out, as I am anxious to see what someone can do with it if they only know AE, iMovie, and Illustrator.

Return to posts index

Douglas Gentry
on Apr 10, 2013 at 5:26:42 am

The late 2012 iMac had to be replaced, and the student that I allow to use my machine has Smoke up and running, and it looks pretty cool!

Seems that it was the late 2012 iMac that needed to be returned to Apple. Things are working much better (all over the machine) since replacing the iMac with one that works!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]