FORUMS: list search recent posts

GPU support for Smoke 2013

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gergo Szabo
GPU support for Smoke 2013
on Feb 11, 2013 at 1:50:31 pm

Hi,

I am curious about that the Smoke 2013 only supports the new NVIDIA card shipped Macbook Pros or I can use the GPU acceleration even in my 2011 (ATI 6750) MBP?

Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: GPU support for Smoke 2013
on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:27:53 pm

Yes Smoke can use ATI as GPU. Smoke actually uses OpenGL(CL) and not CUDA.

I have the same card in the MBP I am using.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Gergo Szabo
on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:33:59 pm

What are the weaknesses of this configuration? I mean is It better with the CUDA card? Could I manage project what was shot with HDSLR (maybe converted to PRORES). Specially what I ask is the 3D Text and Object creating. I have an After Effects CS6 but the built in Ray Traced renderer is useless with my laptop.

Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:39:01 pm

You can do 3D text quite well. This ATI card can give you 8X Hardware AA (HWAA).

Smoke was originally designed and optimized for Nvidia Cards. (Quadro 4000, 4800 & FX5800 on Linux)

But this verison of Smoke works wuite well with the stock ATI graphics.

Smoke's 3D isn't using raytracing. You can use HDSLR>Prores and edit smoothly and use 3D. Hard Drive spped is important for video playback, so Thunderbolt storage would be the best on a MBP.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Gergo Szabo
on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:44:21 pm

That's great. I use Smoke for learning purposes. Fortunately I am still University Student (student license), and when I finish I would like to have a useable knowladge. I am pretty familiar with AE but It has so many tutorials on the web. Could you suggest some place to start by?

Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:46:50 pm

The Smoke Learning Channel on YouTube.

and see this thread.
http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-smoke/smoke-2013/user-created-video...

Also fxphd.com and Digital Tutors have paid content.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Gergo Szabo
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:03:22 pm

I have checked Grant Kay's Smoke First Start tutorials. Great ones but I have realized many differences between the Pre-release Trial and the Final version :)

Could you suggest an External Thunderbolt drive for Smoke? I know that the Pegasus Raid is great but 1.500 USD is too much for me (It's about 340.000 Hungarian Forint = 1.500 USD). WD Thunderbolt DUO? What disk speed is necesseary for confortabe usage? Single drive (7200 RPM) external disks are enough or It must be Raid?

Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:10:55 pm

I like G-Raid drives. But any good Tbolt 7200 drive should be good enough for DSLR and/or Prores.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Gergo Szabo
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:12:55 pm

So It doesn't have to be Dual drive?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:23:05 pm

Obviiously a Raid would be better... but Prores worked on FW drives. So I would imagine a single 7200 tbolt drive would be good enough.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Gergo Szabo
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:53:46 pm

Tell me If I am wrong but than the important is that the MediaStorage have to be on a different drive?

Gary

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:58:11 pm

You are right. It does help if the Autodesk Media Fodler is on a seperate drive. If you had a Tbolt Raid, then you can store & import media from that same drive as well.

If you Cache Media, make proxies, or render.. all of those files go to the Autodesk Media folder.
If you are simply linking to your media and not cacheing it to prores, then it also helps to have that on a fast storage.

SO if you had your media on USB2, then you would have to cache it to prores in order for it to playback in realtime. The cache frames are then placed on the faster Media Storage drive.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:36:10 pm

Hi Gergo.

You can find a list of recommended and certified graphics cards for Smoke here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112
You card should generally work fine but we did find some issues using the CFX Color Warper (the "balls" are not responsive and you might notice corruption in the result preview).

Regards,
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support
http://www.facebook.com/AutodeskMECF

Return to posts index

Gergo Szabo
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:09:30 pm

Yes I realized this problem. But when I turned of the Regen button on the bottom of the screen, It worked better. Any other (better?) solution for this problem?

Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]