FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke hangs up while relinking DPX Sequences

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Swen Linde
Smoke hangs up while relinking DPX Sequences
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:19:34 am

The new relink functions in Smoke 2013 are really great. But when it comes to Longform Projects it´s getting unstable. For example I moved an HD DPX 10-bit Sequence (45 min.) from one SAN drive to another. The relink process failed. It is also failing when I try to relink to the DAS FC Raid.

We are dealing a lot with large DPX Sequences and I hope that I´m just doing something wrong.

Advices welcome.

Thank you!
Best regards
Swen

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Smoke hangs up while relinking DPX Sequences
on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:57:33 am

Hi,

I have a few suggestions.

Once you have unlinked the sequence and moved the media to the new drive, you go to the conform tab.

Click set search location. In the browser you navigate to the root folder containing all your sub-folders with DPX files.

At the bottom of the browser switch to the format spefic options and enable all formats. Choose DPX from the list. My question to you is how is the tape name and timecode being set? Is it from the header of the file or is it derived fro the folder name or file names. You need to check these settings.

Once you have selected the root folder and pressed SET, you go back to the conform window.

You should see all your DPX clips in the media conform list in the media panel. This means they are considered for relinking. Does the conform list have ticks? If yes, you need to right-click on any link and click "link matched sources".

If there are no ticks and you see the cross symbol, it is possible that your match criteria is incorrectly set. By default is seems to be Filename and framerate. I would change it to filename and source time code. Hopefully the ticks will appear and than you relink again to the matched sources.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Swen Linde
on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:06:36 pm

Hi Grant,

thank you for detailed explanation.
I did everything you described and of course a can see the green tick. But when I press "linked matched sources" it chrashes.
In Shortform projects like Musicvideos or Commercials it works 9 times out of 10.
Have you tried to relink a DPX Sequence with about 64.500 Frames (43 minutes with 25fps)?

I will try to do this with an Quicktime File by tomorrow. Maybe this works. But working with qt´s doesen´t match our normal workflow.

Best regards
Swen

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:17:27 am

The workflow should work with DPXs and QuickTimes and it should not matter to Smoke what the file format is.

Unfortunately I don't have 1 hr of DPXs around currently but I have linked large sequences like that in the past.

We'll need to investigate this further.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]