FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the best way to crop 2k super35 to 1080p 1.85 and still retain individual clip reframing potential?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Gaumond
What is the best way to crop 2k super35 to 1080p 1.85 and still retain individual clip reframing potential?
on Jan 20, 2013 at 6:18:45 pm

I'm working on post for a short film. It's my first time working on smoke coming from resolve and scratch.

I have some 2k super35 full gate scanned lab rolls 2048*1556 and I need to extract a 1.85 based on a framing chart. The fastest way I found so far was to edit pre-processing for each labroll to the correct framing. However this seems to remove all the information from the rest of the scan so I can't reframe individual clips later if needed.

In other suites I would work on a 2k frame matted to the desired 185 resolution then extract the 1080p crop at the very end!
On a related note, can I tell smoke to export just the working area? This would solve my issue. I have not found such an option though!

Am I missing something here? Suggestions on your preferred workflows for smoke would be very appreciated!

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: What is the best way to crop 2k super35 to 1080p 1.85 and still retain individual clip reframing potential?
on Jan 20, 2013 at 6:35:28 pm

In the Overlay View Settings, You can add a letterbox and crop it to 1.85. This is just a view option and doesn't affect the shots or the resolution of the timeline. You would have to Burn the letterbox at the end.

So I would work in a 1080 timline, activate the View settings, which will give you the option to reframe a bit with the 2K when you add an AXIS effect to the clip.

Import the clips at 2K as well.

Burn Letterbox at the end.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Martin Gaumond
Re: What is the best way to crop 2k super35 to 1080p 1.85 and still retain individual clip reframing potential?
on Jan 20, 2013 at 11:26:24 pm

Thanks for your input Brian. I managed to get it all working with a bit of fiddling and thanks to you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]