FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up Red Project?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stanley Little
Setting up Red Project?
on Jan 20, 2013 at 5:42:11 am

I have R3d footage shot at 4096 × 2160 that I want to bring into Smoke 2013. Do I create a new project with those dimensions or set the project to the resolution the Mediahub show which is 1024x540.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Setting up Red Project?
on Jan 20, 2013 at 2:03:36 pm

It depends. There is something called Pre-Processing in Smoke, which will allow you to set up your import of .r3d files at a certain Debayer setting. Then at anytime in the timneline or in ConenctFX you can change the clip to another debayer/color setting. So you can import at 1/2 res and later change it to full res.

What is the resolution of your final deliverable? 1920x1080? 2K? 4K?
I would set the project up for that and then you can import your red files at an approprite size and quality for editing. Then if you need more out of your clip for VFX, then change the Pre-processing settings.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Philip Huis
on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:40:17 pm

Hello Brian,

May I shoot a follow up question?

I'm editing and comping multiple resolution red footage. 2k, 4k, etc. How does my preview and broadcast monitor adjust to this? I would like my client to see an image fit to screen. (resolution can wait)

And if you are doing editing and comping, when would you typically swich back to project or native resolution. On and of, or before coming?

Thanks, Philip

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:38:47 pm

Broadcast Monitor would depend on your sequence settings... SO if you are editing in 1920x1080 then your RED could resize eventually to that size. You can still use the full 4K for comping.

If you have a 4K monitor then I would think you could send a 4K sequence out as well.

I would always try and use the full 4K for comping and never comp off the low rez debayer. It will take more time (render) but you have the best quality.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]