FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about image sequence import into Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Question about image sequence import into Smoke
on Jan 7, 2013 at 7:19:13 am

Is Smoke able automatically to determine the correct framerate of an image sequence on import? E.g. if you import a 29.97fps image sequence into a 25fps project, will Smoke know that the image sequence's native framerate does not match your project framerate?

A friend tells me it does, but I was under the impression that image sequences do not carry any metadata indicating the intended framerate - the importing application either just plays the sequence using the current project framerate, or it asks the user to specify a rate using an Interpret Footage parameter or similar.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Question about image sequence import into Smoke
on Jan 7, 2013 at 9:02:41 am

Hi,

This normally depends on the image file format you are using.

If you use a DPX format which contains timecode in the file header, than Smoke will read the timecode and the frame-rate can be derived.

If you are using other image sequences like JPG, TIF or TGA than there is no timecode metadata in the file and Smoke will apply the default framerate to the clip.

You can set the frame-rate for any image sequence import with the file specific settings.

As for Smoke telling you when the frame-rate is different to the project, if you import the files and look at them in the detailed media library, the timecode column will tell you the frame rate and it will possibly be a different colour to clips that are using the project framerate.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]