FORUMS: list search recent posts

Machine config

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Moore
Machine config
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:32:30 am

A friend of mine who's an experienced flame operator is looking to get himself set up on Smoke at home.

Right now he's running a:
MacPro 3,1
2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

He's been running current builds but is finding it crashes a lot and really slow.

My first question is, is there's anything looking at these specs that looks immediately suspect that he should be switching out to make Smoke run way better? More RAM is always a plus, and I'm sure an SSD would help his system feel snappier in general, but is his graphics card crap for Smoke?

Second question is, based on what we know now, is he ultimately going to get better performance out of this MacPro, or one of the soon to be released toped out 27" iMacs?

Thanks for any advice. I'm not a smoke user myself, so I'm unsure about what's most important in a good system.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Machine config
on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:30:44 pm

Hi,

If RAM was no option I would shove a minimum of 16Gigs into the box.

I would also be inclined to change the graphics card to something more beefier like an Nvidia Quadro.

He also needs fast storage. With the current Macpros there are no Thunderbolt ports so I would go for fibre channel if the cost permits.

You never mention the OS he is running on because this could also have an impact if it is running a version of the OS that is not supported for Smoke 2013.

For your reference, here is the Smoke system requirements: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15763520&l...

Based on what we know it is very difficult to tell what performances you will get out of each machine in a performance shoot out. I cannot give you any concrete benchmarks but seeing 2K playback on a laptop with thunderbolt is quite something to see.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 3, 2012 at 5:23:46 pm

Thanks very much. I assumed that RAM would be a good idea regardless.

He's currently running 10.7, but it might not even be the latest version of that. He's aways wary of upgrades breaking what's already working.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:48:29 am

Well, we are still developing Smoke so the official support platforms are not finalised.

However we do try support a range of platforms which should include 10.7.*

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Marc-Andre Ferguson
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:20:17 pm

Personally, I find Smoke runs a lot smoother under Mountain Lion, but maybe it's just me.
Running 10.8.2 on 2 17" MacBookPro's
To echo Grant's comment, 16GB RAM is a "must", and an SSD really helps too.

Marc-André Ferguson
Industry Manager for Smoke
Autodesk Media&Entertainment

Follow me on Twitter : @iluminance
Read my blog : Smoke&Dagger
Click to pre-register for the Smoke 2013 Pre-Release Trial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]