FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prepping edit suite for Smoke 2013

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam taylor
Prepping edit suite for Smoke 2013
on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:22:11 am

I'm not sure where i would ask this, but as its my use of the pre-release S2013 thats prompted me to investigate, i'll ask here first.

Up to now, all my edits have been done in standard def Pal. Occasionally i get HD material to work with, but as I don't have a HD tape deck, and the material is usually already encoded thats not been an issue.

My edit suite has black burst feeding all the various bit of kit with ref signals, including the Kona3 card.
Now when i try set up Smoke to run an HD edit, it tells me it cannot lock to sync as i obviously don't have Tri-Level syncs and will only run in "Free" mode. I'd feel happier knowing all was in sync!

So heres where i get confused...How do i incorporate a new ref signal into the edit suite?
Can devices that expect BB work with Tri-level?
Can i simply replace the BB with Tri and hope it will all stay synced?

I tried looking on the website for Snell & Willcox- my current BB is in an IQ Modular rack (mostly empty!) but the site is definitely for engineers and left me more confused than ever! And it look smore expensive than i can justify.
I have seen a neat little Blackmagic box that will send out 6 BB or Tri signals and its under £200. would this be sufficient?

sorry if this post is too off-subject, i could not see a more appropriate place to post it!
Adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Prepping edit suite for Smoke 2013
on Oct 30, 2012 at 3:16:33 pm

Hi Adam,

Any Tri-Level Sync generator will be god for Smoke as far as I was concerned. What ever suites your budget really. Obviously the more "impressive" devices can do more and are rack mountable. The smaller cost effective devices do one or two functions but they are all equally good.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:15:35 pm

Hi Grant - i think my confusion probably spilled over into my post.

I know that any tri-level sync should be fine with Smoke, my main concern was how to implement it into an edit suite where everything else is currently fed Blackburst.

Its not wise to have two different sync sources, so my worry was how do i use tri on some kit, BB on others and still keep them all in sync?

Can tri replace BB or do i still need to have BB for the older SD Pal kit?

regards
Adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:21:40 pm

We have BB and Tri level feeding my edit suite. There is a switch that I flip which will route the BB (SD) or Trilevel (HD) signal to the Kona3. All of the desks I have SD & 1 HDCAM HD are all feed black burst.

I have never had an issue. I assume that the BB and the trilevel are in sync somewhere back in the racks in engineering.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Nov 9, 2012 at 6:25:44 pm

The AJA GEN10 sync generator can provide both BB and Tri Level reference at the same time. Pretty reasonably priced as well.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]