FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke 2013 imports my video clips, but not their audio

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenny Powerass
Smoke 2013 imports my video clips, but not their audio
on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:09:59 am

I'm a Smoke newb coming from FCP7 and Premiere. This is my first test project.
I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the pre-release version or if I'm doing something wrong...
I have some .dv clips that wouldn't even show up in the import dialogue. I transcoded them to ProRes. So, now Smoke sees them and imports them, but they don't come in with the "Multi" tag I should see on multi-track clips - all I get is the video track.
I'm able to bring in XDCAM clips and their associated audio tracks, no problem.
Any ideas how I could get my .dv audio imported?
Thanks.

Mac Pro
3.2 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
OS 10.7.4
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3
Smoke 2013 Pre-Release v4

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Smoke 2013 imports my video clips, but not their audio
on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:58:06 am

Hi,

When you dont see the multi-icon on the clips in the Smoke file browser, it means that Smoke either does not read audio or there is no audio.

Have you played them in the QuickTime player to verify that there is actually sound in the ProRes files?

If the answer is no audio, than you need to re-encode the files. If the answer is yes, there is audio, than you need to find out what kind of audio encoder was used to create the ProRes files. It is very possible that the audio codec might not be supported by Smoke.

Where did your .DV files originate from?

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Kenny Powerass
on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:27:36 pm

Hey Grant,
There is audio when I play the ProRes files in the QuickTime Player. (I should've mentioned that originally.)

I transcoded the footage in Compressor and the audio was set to "multi-track passthrough". QuickTime calls it "DV, Stereo, 32.000 kHz". Maybe that's what Smoke doesn't like? I'm looking around for a "minimum requirements for import" list, but don't see one.

I captured the footage from miniDV tapes months ago, so I'm not 100% positive, but I think what happened is that I didn't have the proper combination of cables/inputs to hook my DVCAM deck up to my brand new Mac Pro. So I think I had to resort to plugging it into my MacBook Pro and capturing with an old version of iMovie. Could be Smoke doesn't care for that either.

Worst case scenario I imagine I can export AIFFs or mp3s from the .dv files and pair them inside Smoke, but if there's a simpler way I'd like to learn it.
It seems I'm handicapping myself by using DV footage for testing new software, but it's the perfect project for me to learn the ins and outs.

BTW, I've been checking out the Smoke Learning Channel and your tutorials for months now. Thanks for doing them. They're well done and very helpful.

Kevin

Mac Pro
3.2 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16GB RAM
OS 10.7.4
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Oct 10, 2012 at 8:55:21 am

Hi Kevin,

I am glad the videos have been helping out. There is so much to do and I am slowly getting through it. But It will be easier once Smoke is released and not chaining every month :) But thats my thing to deal with.

Back to your issue, I know that smoke will up convert audio from different rates so it should do 32000Khz up to 48000Khz. The compression "DV" is not a standard that Smoke supports. Can you not convert the DV files using Linear PCM in the QT ProRes files?

You can make separate AIFFs/MP3 if you want but I don't think it is necessary. All we really need to do is find the right audio compression and you should be fine.

Incidentally, I captured some mini-dv tapes I had into FCP 7 as Quicktime DV movies and those seemed to load fine in Smoke.

What application are you using to convert the DV files to QuickTime ProRes?

Regards
GRant

Return to posts index

Kenny Powerass
on Oct 10, 2012 at 7:27:51 pm

Just tried it. Setting Compressor to Linear PCM did the trick. Now the audio and video come in as one clip. Problem solved!
Curious that your DV footage was acceptable when mine wasn't. Is the difference in that you used FCP7 and used iMovie to ingest?
Thanks for the help and, again, for the tutorials.
Kevin

Mac Pro
3.2 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16GB RAM
OS 10.7.4
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Oct 10, 2012 at 9:43:01 pm

Hi Kenny,

Glad the problem is solved.

I just opened up FCP 7 and set the mode to QuickTime DV PAL... I captured directly from firewire and that make the Quicktime MOV file. No DV files insight and that worked in Smoke.

Regards
Grant

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]