FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alexa ProRes conform from EDL testing - can't get working

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lundy
Alexa ProRes conform from EDL testing - can't get working
on Sep 11, 2012 at 7:25:40 pm

I'm having a ton of trouble testing a simple 4 cut conform from Alexa ProRes. Not sure what the mismatch is.

Here's my workflow:

Offline is in Avid 5.5.3 at DNx36. I put cuts on a timeline from 4 separate Alexa shots.
I duplicated the Filename column into the Name column so I'd have it in the EDL easily.
Export EDL.
Now in Smoke 2013 - Load new EDL in the Conform tab.
The EDL comes in and has no matches and therefore no linking.
I click Set Search Directory and navigate to the folder containing the 4 Alexa ProRes files.
No matches occur. I try every Match filter and nothing works.

I even tried just importing the Alexa clips via MediaHub and then set that media folder as a Search Directory. Nothing works.

I thought getting Smoke to see the filename as tape would help but I can't get it to do it. In MediaHub there's a section when you import to set the Tape to Filename. I tried that and did an import but I still don't see a Tape in the tape column.

What am I missing? I want to conform from these Alexa ProRes so at no point do I want Smoke to create new media. Is the Tape name an issue?

The filename of the ProRes is the exact same name as the Avid EDL says the is the source for the event. Timecodes already match.

A bug on my system or operator error with new software?


Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Alexa ProRes conform from EDL testing - can't get working
on Sep 11, 2012 at 7:27:52 pm

I am not a conform expert, but why are you using EDL? Would AAF not be better?

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor


Return to posts index

Chris Lundy
Re: Alexa ProRes conform from EDL testing - can't get working
on Sep 11, 2012 at 7:49:50 pm

I am not using AAF as I thought initially that it was complicating my matching and linking. The AAF when loaded usually populates columns with data that would never match the ProRes Alexa clips. In other words, the AAF has Avid MXF info in the Filename column and file type column etc. The AAF was exported using the Link to Media option so that data is embedded in it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get Smoke to link to my ProRes so I went with the seemingly simpler EDL.

I think there's something missing in my setup.


Return to posts index


Grant Kay
Re: Alexa ProRes conform from EDL testing - can't get working
on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:32:44 am

Hi Chris,

I have asked you loads of questions in your post on the Autodesk Area. :)

See you there :)

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk


Return to posts index

Chris Lundy
Re: Alexa ProRes conform from EDL testing - can't get working
on Sep 12, 2012 at 12:27:02 pm

Thanks. I've followed up over on that forum.

Here's the link if anyone wants it:
http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-smoke/smoke-2013/alexa-prores-confo...


Return to posts index

Chris Lundy
Re: Alexa ProRes conform from EDL testing - can't get working
on Sep 12, 2012 at 4:30:22 pm

I've concluded everything over at the AREA forum but here's my answer here in case anyone else finds it useful.

I believe I've solved my issue. It was indeed a Tape name problem in Smoke with clips that have alpha channels. Turns out that ProRes444 comes into Smoke with it's alpha channel as a "multi" clip. When it's imported this way there seems to be no way of getting a Tape name applied.

The answer was to set the import settings to disable Create Multi Channel Clip. This brings in the Alpha and the regular QT portion separately and lets you set a Tape name based on either Header, Filename or Directory. For my AAF to conform I just used filename and voila, matched and linked my clips all in one step.

For future releases it would make sense to just let Smoke set a Tape name anyway, even if there's an alpha. Or set the import to ignore alpha channels entirely on certain types of footage.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]