FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please add Blackmagic support.

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomberlin
Please add Blackmagic support.
on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:14:35 pm

I know this has been brought up before, but since support has not been added (to my knowledge) I thought I'd bring it up again.

I see myself as a VERY good candidate for at least one (maybe more) Smoke purchases. However, I can't even truly test out the beta as my primary edit system is also my primary Resolve system; which of course only works with BMD hardware. It's not in Blackmagic's best interest to open up Resolve to AJA hardware but it seems to me that it is in Autodesk's best interest to support as many hardware options as they can.

Please, please add Blackmagic support so that those of us that are tied to that hardware for one reason or another may participate in the Smoke 2013 revolution.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Please add Blackmagic support.
on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:39:49 pm

I've been saying this since NAB quite honestly. Blackmagic does have a few cards with similar specs as the supported AJA products.

I would not expect Smoke 2013 to support all the BMD products just like they don't support all the AJA products, but certainly at least a few BMD products would be nice. Would love to have Smoke, PPro and Resolve all on the same system......

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:28:30 pm

How about every day you and I alternate putting this request at the top of the forum. Tomorrow if it's not on top it's your turn. ;-)

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:44:22 pm

Too funny. No, they hear it from me regularly off forum as well. The entire Autodesk team is awesome to work with, very receptive to ideas and if it's feasibly possible, they will try to implement feature requests.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Sep 7, 2012 at 2:37:01 am

I may be wrong, but isn't Autodesk in partnership with AJA? If that's so then I wouldn't be expecting any blackmagic support.
I was hoping this version of Smoke to be stronger on color grading, ideally to have Luster in it, so I can be blackmagic-free at last.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 7, 2012 at 2:39:43 am

[Gustavo Bermudas] "I may be wrong, but isn't Autodesk in partnership with AJA? If that's so then I wouldn't be expecting any blackmagic support."

Nope. AJA just made the products that could support Smoke. BMD cards don't have as many features and format support as AJA.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Sep 7, 2012 at 3:15:49 am

Somewhere on their website it says that AJA has been a core partner for Autodesk, I guess it's a different kind of partnership? They must have some sort of exclusivity deal, people has been requesting BM support form Autodesk for a few years, and never heard any explanation from Autodesk though. If the whole issue is some formats not being supported, then grayed them out!

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:02:06 pm

I would concur that this is a deal breaker for us. As a facility that specializes in coloring (Resolve) and VFX (Flame) we were excited to implement Smoke 2013 on Mac on all of our Resolve Mac's to complete the picture and use Smoke as a conforming hub and finishing tool.

Until this happens we will continue to use Quantel for such matters when we'd much prefer to migrate over to Smoke.

Cheers, Chris

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:16:51 pm

Hi Everyone,
Autodesk knows that Blackmagic support is highly requested but currently it is not supported.

Ken LaRue
Autodesk Smoke Technical Marketing Manager

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:44:48 pm

Ken,

Thanks very much for chiming in on this thread. Your response can be taken two ways though. There's the "Apple" interpretation ("Shut up already. We're not giving you that.") or there's the "we hear you and are working on it" interpretation.

Could you clarify?

Like Chris mentioned above, we're trying to make some long term decisions about hardware, software and what is the best move for the future of our business. It's much more than "gee I wish It would work with Blackmagic". In fact, I'd much rather Resolve work with AJA than be limited to the Decklink cards but they've taken the approach of making their cards a dongle for the Resolve software so that's not likely to change.

Thanks

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Sep 20, 2012 at 5:23:00 pm

Since nothing is confirmed or concrete I can’t say that Balckmagic support will be in Smoke but the one thing that the Smoke 2013 public pre-release has proven is Autodesk would not say “shut up” to our clients or our potential clients. We are listening very closely. Whether people realize it or not the development and design of Smoke 2013 has changed due to the feedback given on this forum and on the forum at The Area. It has been critical in making Smoke a better product. Some requests have and will be implemented in the 2013 release and some might come later but we hear you.

Ken LaRue
Autodesk Smoke Technical Marketing Manager

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Sep 20, 2012 at 5:37:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification and your willingness to listen.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]