FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrating Smoke 2013 Projects and Setups - Fresh OS install

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Brier
Migrating Smoke 2013 Projects and Setups - Fresh OS install
on Aug 27, 2012 at 1:52:58 pm

I need to do a clean OS install and was wondering about the best way to migrate my Smoke 2013 PR2 projects, user settings, etc. to the new install. Thanks in advance!

David Brier | Post-Op Media

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
Re: Migrating Smoke 2013 Projects and Setups - Fresh OS install
on Aug 27, 2012 at 2:25:45 pm

Hi David.

The only recommended way to do this would be to archive your projects now and then unarchive them once you've reinstalled the OS and Smoke.
Unfortunately archiving does not work in pre-release 2.

The other (unofficial and rather risky) way of transferring your projects would be to create a back-up of the /usr/discreet/clip, /usr/discreet/project, /usr/discreet/sw/cfg and /usr/discreet/sw/swdb directories and then restore them once you've reinstalled the OS and reinstalled Smoke.
You must make sure to exit Smoke and stop all background services before backing up those directories. Bg services must also be stopped before you restore those directories on the fresh OS. It is also crucial that your new OS installation use the exact same hostname, IP address, Mac OS user name and media storage mount point as your current setup.
In theory, this should work, but I have seen cases of users running into permissions issues and/or ending up with red frames (i.e. media not found), so I strongly advise against doing this if you are working on a real project and not just on test projects you can afford to lose. YMMV.

Regards,
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support
http://www.facebook.com/AutodeskMECF

Return to posts index

David Brier
on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:26:56 pm

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

It sounds like the safest thing might be to clone my current system drive, and then if I need to make any revisions to past projects, I could just boot off of that, and run Smoke from there. Hopefully that would be stable enough to muddle through any quick revisions and I will certainly let this thread know how that turns out.

Fingers crossed!

Dave

David Brier | Post-Op Media

Return to posts index

Kanen Flowers
on Aug 29, 2012 at 10:43:32 pm

Or, check out my field notes blog where I show how to use Dropbox to keep all your projects in sync across multiple systems.

-( Kanen Flowers | Creative Director, Scruffy.TV | @kanendosei )-
Scruffy Thinking, That Post Show, The Scruffy Show, Hero Punk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]