FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke General Observations.

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris gernon
Smoke General Observations.
on Aug 6, 2012 at 1:19:40 am

So i'm completely immersed with Smoke and for the most part I love it.. and each day i'm getting more and more familiar with it.

some issue have come up.. though :(

1) the Keyboard short cuts form FCP are pretty much non existent. There are a few key ones (i,o, JKL etc.. ) but here's an example of one that missing.. trim back and trim forward is the D+left/right keys.

2) importing stills.. Can we please have a choice to bring in one frame or a duration? its a long and drawn out process to move to tools.. hit repeat.. choose your duration.. pick a frame and then where to render the new clip to? when you have over 100 stills... thats a lot of clicking.

3) a couple of audio issues have come up.. dissolves create a popping sound instead of a dissolve. and some times render the incoming track mute.

4) also for no apparent reason the audio track will pull frames of music from another point in the track making it very difficult to follow.. only solution i've found at this point is to restart.. but i've had to restart today maybe 10 times.

5) archiving.. I know this has not been implemented yet, but I worry about the inability to move projects from computer to computer and a final archive at the end of a project. This keeps me form truly finishing a project in this system.

If anyone else has anything to add or even help me with these items.. with work arounds.. that would be FANTASTIC.

chris gernon
fugitives.tv

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Smoke General Observations.
on Aug 6, 2012 at 10:24:15 am

Hi Chris,

1) the Keyboard short cuts form FCP are pretty much non existent. There are a few key ones (i,o, JKL etc.. ) but here's an example of one that missing.. trim back and trim forward is the D+left/right keys.

---- I was holding down D and using the arrow keys and well a SHIFT+D and using the arrow keys and the its are trimming... Is this not the function you are looking for?

2) importing stills.. Can we please have a choice to bring in one frame or a duration? its a long and drawn out process to move to tools.. hit repeat.. choose your duration.. pick a frame and then where to render the new clip to? when you have over 100 stills... thats a lot of clicking.

---- When you are importing media through the media hub, you can choose between sequence and frames. Select your clip in the file browser. At the bottom of the screen, choose the format specify options tab.You should see a pulldown menu that is labelled METADATA. If you change it to CLIP OPTIONS, you should be able to change the sequence Detection to Frames. When you import your clips in, they are brought in as individual frames. As for the length, the clips are infinite. They may come in as one frame, but you can drop them all in a sequence, select them all and trim them to the length you want in one go. However I agree that there should be a preference for imported still duration.

3) a couple of audio issues have come up.. dissolves create a popping sound instead of a dissolve. and some times render the incoming track mute.

---- I have not heard this before. What hardware are you using?

4) also for no apparent reason the audio track will pull frames of music from another point in the track making it very difficult to follow.. only solution i've found at this point is to restart.. but i've had to restart today maybe 10 times.

---- Not heard this on either but will look out for it.

5) archiving.. I know this has not been implemented yet, but I worry about the inability to move projects from computer to computer and a final archive at the end of a project. This keeps me form truly finishing a project in this system.

---- Archiving is coming and you will be able to back up your project as well as move the archive between systems. Just hang in there... Still early days..

Many thanks
Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - SMOKEHOWTOS
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:08:32 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up, but I'd like to have an option that's similar to 'Mouse Mode' in Preferences/Input Devices.

The only way I can find to speed up cursor movement using a Tablet is to make the Active Area much smaller.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:43:07 pm

Hi,

The way tablets work are very different from mouse modes.

You can increase the speed of the mouse cursor movement because you can move a mouse forever in one direction.

However a typical tablet set is that the pen is always limited by the dimensions of the tablet. And the four corners of the tablet are typically mapped to the four corners of the screen.

So if you wanted the cursor go from the bottom left corner to the top right corner of the screen:

With a mouse you keep scrolling in the direction ( and you could increase the mouse speed)
With the pen and tablet you simply tap the corner you want and the cursor jumps to that point.

This is a different case of interfacing with software.

Decreasing the surface area of the tablet mapped to the screen will give you a smaller area to move within, so it means your hand has less distance to travel which makes the cursor move faster. But to be honest this is all down to personal preference.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - SMOKEHOWTOS
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:24:26 am

Thanks for the reply Grant. While I understand what you're saying, I don't see why building in a Mouse Mode is not an option. Other apps in OSX take the Tablet settings from System Preferences without any issues.

To me this is one of the reasons why the Pre-Release doesn't feel as fluid as it should. As an aside, I spent a few minutes messing around on a Scratch box last night (we were finishing a commercial) and it felt a lot more responsive. But I forgot to ask the the Artist how his Tablet was set up, so I may be way off base and it may not have anything to do with his Tablet settings.

Anyway, I'll send in a feature request regarding this.

Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 10, 2012 at 7:09:04 am

[chris gernon] "1) the Keyboard short cuts form FCP are pretty much non existent. There are a few key ones (i,o, JKL etc.. ) but here's an example of one that missing.. trim back and trim forward is the D+left/right keys. "

Also there's no support for Scandinavian keyboards nor there will be. I can't even bind a Scandic keyboard how I'd like because the buttons just don't "exist" in the listed keyboard configurations. This is insanely dumb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]