FORUMS: list search recent posts

ANNOUNCEMENT: Smoke 2013 pre-release trial extended

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Hamaker
ANNOUNCEMENT: Smoke 2013 pre-release trial extended
on Jul 19, 2012 at 5:51:18 pm

Over ten thousand editors have already signed up to download the new Smoke. We’re listening to and documenting all the feedback on forums, newsgroups and in social media. Extensive feedback so far has already led to numerous feature and performance enhancements for the upcoming pre-release versions of Smoke 2013.

Based on feedback, we’ve decided to extend the Smoke pre-release trial. Our development team told us they needed more time to deliver the commercial version of Smoke 2013, and we’re going to give it to them.

Starting with the next pre-release trial version of Smoke 2013, the software will remain active until early December. Autodesk will continue to release updates to the pre-release trial through the summer. This is great news for professional editors, as they will now have three more months of free access to the amazing new Smoke.

And we need your help to make sure we are getting it right. Please keep posting your feedback to the Smoke forums on AREA and Creative Cow. Join and participate in our Facebook community. And tweet your thoughts about the new Smoke using #AutodeskSmoke.

I want to thank everyone for the great feedback so far, and for your continued participation as we work together to build the new Smoke.

The Smoke revolution rolls on!

-marc

Marc Hamaker - Autodesk
Sr. Product Marketing Manager
@marc_hamaker
The All New Smoke
Follow Smoke on Facebook

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Smoke 2013 pre-release trial extended
on Jul 20, 2012 at 7:31:48 pm

Sounds good to me. More time to try before you buy. Sorta like dating.

"Yes, I'm going out with a girl from Montreal now. It's going to get interesting."

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Jul 20, 2012 at 7:36:57 pm

Hi Everyone,
Make sure you read the information and notes below before you install the new Pre-Release 2 of Smoke 2013

READ ME FIRST
Autodesk® Smoke® 2013 Pre-Release Trial 2

NOTE:
Since Autodesk Smoke is pre-release software, Autodesk Smoke pre- release trial 2 is not compatible with Autodesk Smoke pre-release trial 1. Projects and/or data created with Smoke pre-release trial 1 are not compatible with projects and/or data created with Smoke pre-release trial 2. Furthermore, the Smoke pre-release trial 1 will no longer be usable after you install Smoke pre-release trial 2. We advise you to install Smoke pre-release trial 2 only if you no longer need access to projects and/or data created in Smoke pre-release trial 1.

The all-new commercial version of Autodesk Smoke 2013 is still under development!
The following has been improved in Autodesk Smoke pre-release trial 2:

 Software stability
 Ripple behavior when extracting/deleting clips in the timeline
 Proxies are fully functional
 Improved export workflow

The following have been added in pre-release trial 2:
 Tools tab
 Access to desktop Paint tool
 Cursors when using tablet input device
 VTR input/output
 Resizing and LUT on import
 Vectorscope and waveform monitoring

Autodesk Smoke pre-release trial 2 does not include all anticipated features for the Autodesk Smoke 2013 commercial version. During the course of the pre-release trial period Autodesk anticipates introducing additional features and improving existing features.

NOTE: Since Autodesk Smoke is pre-release software, certain parts have not been fully tested and you may experience instability, slowness or crashes. Your feedback helps! Hundreds of issues have been reported and logged by Smoke pre-release trial users submitting CERs (Custom Error Reports). We encourage you to continue submitting CERs and provide feedback on this forum to assist with development of the Autodesk Smoke 2013 commercial release.

For optimal playback performance, we recommend installing Smoke pre-release trial 2 with a separate storage volume/partition for the Media Storage location (such as an external ThunderboltTM technology drive or array).

See What’s New in the Smoke Help for a list of the new features, and the Release Notes for all the fixed and known issues.
The following anticipated features and workflows are not included or not implemented fully in Autodesk Smoke pre-release trial 2 *:

Project archiving

Interim Conform Workflow

Only drag and drop conform of XML and AAF is supported. The following are not supported:
 Conform from EDL
 Conforming troubleshooting tools
 Unlink/relink
 Reformat

Backward playback on Long-GOP formats such as H264

Export Capabilities are not implemented fully
 No timeline publish
 No Audio AAF/OMF export
 No format/device export presets
 RGBA export requires Matte Containers

Trim View

Some player controls for stereo

The Menu bar is not implemented fully

Partial keyboard shortcut implementation

Selection order of clips in the workspace is not visible

Limited search capabilities
 Timeline search is not included
 Only basic search capabilities available in Workspace and the MediaHub browser

For more information on the Autodesk Smoke 2013 pre-release trial, see the full release
notes here.

Ken LaRue
Autodesk Smoke Technical Marketing Manager

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Jul 23, 2012 at 12:58:21 pm

Hi Ken, when I fill out the web form and click download, nothing happens and safari reports there were errors loading the page, is anyone else experiencing this?

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
on Jul 23, 2012 at 8:06:01 pm

Hi Marcus.

Does the page change after you click "download"?
Also, did you make sure to check the "I agree..." checkbox at the bottom of the form? The download button should turn green if that checkbox is checked.
We've seen cases where people missed that box.

If you did all that and still getting errors, try using a different browser. (I've tried the download in Firefox or Chrome personally and it worked).

Regards,
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support
http://www.facebook.com/AutodeskMECF

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Jul 23, 2012 at 11:09:35 pm

Hi Robert,

Yes I did check the Agree box and it didn't work. Safari reported 2 errors. I tried it in Chrome and the same issue..HOWEVER...I tried it in Safari again just now, and I got to the installer and its downloading ... Safari still reports errors in the Activity Viewer but at least it got to the next stage. Go figure *shrug*
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Jul 23, 2012 at 11:38:53 pm

Nooooooo

I spoke too soon. The page downloaded the Akamai Netsession Installer and that is all.

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Jul 23, 2012 at 11:41:18 pm

Third attempt, and now the actual installer is downloading. Maybe have your web masters take a closer look, because there seems to be some buggy interactions going on :(

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
on Jul 24, 2012 at 12:00:27 am

Yes, it's not ideal that the Akamai plug-in doesn't auto-install. I think that pertains more to the Mac Os security restrictions than to something we can control on our end.
I will report your feedback to the team that takes care of the download page. Do you still have the Safari error log, or do you remember what the errors were about?

Thanks!
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support
http://www.facebook.com/AutodeskMECF

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Jul 24, 2012 at 12:18:14 am

I've closed the page now , but it was along the lines of "could not connect to remote server"

Thanks.

Marcus.

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Jul 24, 2012 at 12:40:44 am

Marcus,
Please email me at ken.larue@autodesk.com I will help you directly.

Ken LaRue
Autodesk Smoke Technical Marketing Manager

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]