FORUMS: list search recent posts

optimizing graphics cards for Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
optimizing graphics cards for Smoke
on Jun 27, 2012 at 6:55:20 pm

My primary Smoke system is a 12 core system with 32GB of RAM and two graphics cards - Nvidia GT120 and Nvidia Geforce 480 GTX. I'm not sure what card Smoke will use and in what situations - rendering, GPU, previews etc. - but I'd like to make sure I'm making the best use of the 480 in particular. Any advice would be very welcome.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: optimizing graphics cards for Smoke
on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:38:39 pm

Hi

I would ensure that graphics switching is disabled in the mac preferences menu...

There is also a free mac app... the name skipped my mind today ... which allows you to set which graphics card you are using with your system.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - SMOKEHOWTOS
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:44:07 pm

Is there no preference setting within smoke to determine which card it uses?

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 28, 2012 at 2:28:46 am

[Joe Murray] "My primary Smoke system is a 12 core system with 32GB of RAM and two graphics cards - Nvidia GT120 and Nvidia Geforce 480 GTX. I'm not sure what card Smoke will use and in what situations - rendering, GPU, previews etc. - but I'd like to make sure I'm making the best use of the 480 in particular. Any advice would be very welcome."

Joe, is that a Resolve setup? My guess would be that Smoke, using OpenGL [link], must use the graphics card that the monitor is attached to. It doesn't use CUDA/GPGPU, so if your 480 GTX is disconnected, it won't be seen.

[Grant Kay] "There is also a free mac app... the name skipped my mind today ... which allows you to set which graphics card you are using with your system."

Perhaps you're thinking of gfxCardStatus? If so, I think this is specific to the laptops with dual integrated/discrete graphics cards and it may not be helpful for a desktop with two discrete graphics cards.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jun 28, 2012 at 2:55:21 am

Yes it's a Resolve/FCP/AE setup. I think you answered my question - after effects and resolve use the graphics card that is not plugged into the display for processing power. Smoke only uses the OpenGL features of the card powering the monitor and doesnt use the additional card. Right?

I also have a second system with smoke installed. That one just has the GTX 480 card which should boost interactivity in smoke via Open GL.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]