FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke 2013 Beta & MacBook Pro Retina Display Laptop

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Tortoriello
Smoke 2013 Beta & MacBook Pro Retina Display Laptop
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:10:00 am

Hi all.

Please forgive the redundancy, as I posted this same question just now on the Autodesk Area site (link below), but I just ordered a 15" Macbook Pro Retina Display laptop, only to find out a few people are having trouble getting the application to run. I realize it's NOT supported officially by Autodesk, but I chose the Retina Diplay version because I was told in the Apple store I could not get the "pre-retina dislpay" laptop with 16GB of RAM (8GB Max).
I need some input from other users to help me decide if I should cancel my order (I have a week or two before it ships), and get the NON-Retina display laptop, OR just stick to my order and assume (always dangerous) that AD will support the computer in the NEAR future? I usually drive LINUX systems, so this is a chance to work from home, so I planned on the next few months being a trial period anyway, and wouldn't want to use it in earnest till the Fall when I buck up the $3K for the software.

What say you? THANKS! -NYSmoker (TomT)

LINK to AREA thread:

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-smoke/smoke-2013/retina-macbook-pro...

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Smoke 2013 Beta & MacBook Pro Retina Display Laptop
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:43:21 am

I have a 2011 MBP that can use 16gigs of RAM. Apple doesn't sell it hat way,but you can get th RAM from Cruial.
I am sure that ADSK will get Smoke running on retina....it just came out. But I doubt that the UI will be updated to retina.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:50:48 am

Thanks for the fast reply Brian! I guess I'm wondering if I should buy the Retina display or not now that you have clarified I CAN add 2x8GB RAM chips from crucial. I wish the guy at the Mac store mentioned that to me. When I compared the 2 on the Apple site, the non-retina display model works out to beabout the same price as the Retina, especially when upgrading to a 256GB SSD drive (a $500 upgrade).
I've done some additional web surfing in the last few hours, and the soldered RAM, glued in monitor of the Retina display monitor, the "newness" factor, AND the fact that Autodesk isn't supporting it YET, I'm leaning towards the non Retina laptop.
Now to research Thunderbolt RAIDS. Have a good night, and thanks again! -TomT

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:26:40 am

The only thing I can say about the retina display is that it is not supported because we have not been able acquire one in time to test fully...

However, the DEV team suspect that it might have something to do with the graphic switching that can be disabled in the preferences menu.

I can't say anymore than that simply because I don't know either but its worth a shot.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - SMOKEHOWTOS
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Brooks Tomlinson
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:32:13 pm

I had the very same decision, and decided to go retina. I know Autodesk will update for it, they are sharp guys. Also, it will give me time to learn divinci resolve better (which i read works)

Hey, don't forget to look at the GPU ram when your buying the laptop. The lower end macbook pro only has 512mb ram. With all the programs, from adobe to blackmagic, it looks like GPU is becoming very important. You don't want to be saddled with a lower ram gpu. (my thinking)

I'm also a photography shooter too. So the display on the new retina would be ideal.

Plus, and here is the big one that made my decision. I'm looking at this as a hold over until they release the new Mac Pro next year. If they don't release a New Mac Pro, then I will have to switch to pc. If they do, and it's awsome, I'll need some cash. Either way the retina mac will hold its value better than a non-retina macbook.

Just some food for thought.

Brooks
"I dream in 32bit float, don't you?"

Brooks Tomlinson

Return to posts index

Grant Mac Leod
on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:55:40 am

i'd go for the retina - i tested it recently (not with smoke) but it's an amazing laptop.
firstly, the not so obvious amazing feature is that you can drive the laptop at 1920x1080 which has clear advantages for Smoke - i have heard you can run it at 2880 res

AD will support this laptop, it's the direction they're going in so rather buy for the future imo
it's on my list too!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]