FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence settings keep changing around

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Sequence settings keep changing around
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:46:44 pm

I have 1080 444 material as well as 4k Red which has been imported at half (2k).

I am testing keying on both.

It seems that the 1080 sequence will jump from 1080 to 2k on a whim. Once it's in 2k it stays.

Also, rendering quality will jump, I have it set for HQ, but it will jump to 444.

I can't seem to find a method that "invokes" this behavior, it just seems to happen.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Sequence settings keep changing around
on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:24:30 am

Hi Jeremy,

The way Smoke works is similar to the behaviour to FCP (albeit without warnings)

You create a sequence in Smoke at 1080.

However the first clip you edit into the sequence will adjust the sequence resolution.

For example, edit a HD clip into the sequence the sequence will stay HD.
edit a 2K clip into the sequence and the sequence becomes 2K...

FCP7 asked you to adjust the sequence setting to the resolution of the clip, Smoke does not, it just does it.

If you had edited an HD clip into the HD sequence, the sequence will remain HD. When you edit a 2K clip into the same sequence, the 2K clip will be resized to HD.

As for the render intermediates, if you have it set to ProRes HQ in the project settings, Smoke will render with those settings...

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - SMOKEHOWTOS
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Sequence settings keep changing around
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:20:45 pm

Thanks, Grant.

I will have to keep better track of it as this action was repeatable. Perhaps it was happening when copying/pasting from one sequence to another.

Also, maybe it's just a "bug" but when I start the sequence, the overlay on the "record" side window says ProRes HQ. At some point, and I'm not sure when, it switches to "444".

I'll keep better track of it.

By the way, I buried this on another post so here it is again:

"One more thing.

I really enjoy the interface.  I have been looking at Smoke for a very long time.  In every demo I watched, the interface looked intimidating and kind of messy, but that was then.

Now that I have had a chance to play with it, finally in person, it's rather remarkable.

Grant is doing a great job of keeping the tutorials "top level" and not getting too deep at first, but still showing great capability.  This allows me, the new user, to navigate the interface and simply see how it works, which then informs me how other tools might work.

Even though I find the actual editing slow and kind of clunky and specific (I mean that constructively) I am enjoying the rest of the application's compositing strengths and layouts.

Thank you."

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]