FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Hub

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Muhammad Jamil
Media Hub
on Jun 25, 2012 at 9:36:05 am

I come from Avid Media composer environment. What is the point in having to view thousands of frames of clips while we are only interested in clips. Once you have lots and lots of clip frames in media hub how you tell which one belong to which clip in case you wanted to delete some?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Media Hub
on Jun 25, 2012 at 12:00:05 pm

Are you talking about the MediaHub where you look and import your clips to work with in Smoke?

It sounds like you are talking about the Media Library which is the location of the clips that you did import, and it resides on the left side of the screen.

You can organize and add folders which will act like BINS. Am I understanding your question?

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Muhammad Jamil
on Jun 25, 2012 at 3:43:11 pm

No I am not talking about library I am talking about media hub frame store itself. I am trying to compare it to Avid media tool which is so convenient. It gives you options to view source clips, actual media files, and render files. And you can see which source clips are related to which media files. So easy to clean up the stuff you don't need anymore.

Where as when you look at Smoke 2013 frame store.

1. It takes so long to load all the frames for only a few mins clips forget about hours of footage, have not tried it yet.

2. We are normally interested in clips which we import or digitized why would I want to look at all the frames. What for

3. How do you tell which frames relate to which clips in the library if you wanted to do some house keeping. For example if I deleted a clip from library but not media. Later how am I going to find all the left over media frames of that clip. We always import or try clips which we don't like. How to flush them out of frame store.

4. And one more thing when I do nothing just hit refresh button no. of frames doubles in the frame store. Keep hitting refresh and frames keep doubling like pressing enter enter on a calculator and amount doubling.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 25, 2012 at 3:53:23 pm

All of Smoke's media management should be done by Smoke or just the imported media file managment should be done by the user.

You should never have to go in to the Autodesk media folder. There really is nothing there that you need to mess with. The clips are all frame based even a prores quicktimes.

Since Smoke 2013 is timeline based, there is no actual created new media. Create Project Media does transcode, but it will also still link to the original file. If you wanted to clean up... you would remove the clip from the Media Library on the editdesk, never from the Autodesk Media Folder.
Renders can be cleaned up by unrednering (not available in pre1)

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Muhammad Jamil
on Jun 25, 2012 at 9:06:30 pm

Thanks for help

Right so if I keep importing and discarding clips in the media library. Smoke will remove created project media if any for deleted clips immediately from media store or may be upon application reboot right?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 25, 2012 at 10:07:16 pm

Correct. Usually after the program roboots, but if you want to force it... there is an option in Preferences>Storage>Force Purge.

Media is only created during rendering, and Create Project media & proxies.

If you just import direct, as link with no transcode to prores, then no frames are put in the Autodesk Media Folder.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Muhammad Jamil
on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:01:51 am

Great help thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved