FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bug: Trying to import an FCP7 sequence XML and Smoke is not responding

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Bug: Trying to import an FCP7 sequence XML and Smoke is not responding
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:13:51 pm

I can't force quit, I can't kill the process in Activity Monitor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
Re: Bug: Trying to import an FCP7 sequence XML and Smoke is not responding
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:19:11 pm

Jeremy
Go to application folder then in the Autodesk folder, then the Smoke 2013 Pre-Release folder and finally the Utilities folder and launch the Service Monitor. On the Service Monitor click troubleshooting and then click the Force quit application NOW button. It is the best way to force quit Smoke

Ken LaRue
Autodesk Smoke Technical Marketing Manager

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:21:08 pm

[Ken LaRue] "On the Service Monitor click troubleshooting and then click the Force quit application NOW button. It is the best way to force quit Smoke"

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ben Rojas
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:53:12 pm

keep an alias in your dock as it comes in handy.

I've got a 1/2 hr show I'm going to try to conform tonight. Very curious to see how it handles ;o)

Ben Rojas
Editor|Artist|Dir. of Post Production
KSC KREATE
3850 N 28th Ter. Ste. 101
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771
E. ben.rojas@ksckreate.com
http://www.ksckreate.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:57:23 pm

Well, I think the problem might be my directory structure.

It's highly organized, but it's not very "Smoke" friendly as it seems. Plus, this is only a :30.

I rearranged the XML folder, added 6 steps up to the search, it's now been nearly 30 minutes "Searching for 189 sources".

It's doing something, it's hitting my SAN @ 400 ish MB/sec.

If everything was simply in one folder, it would probably go much faster.

Since I don't want to mess anything up in the FCP7 project, I am going to leave it and see if it can figure it out.

Return to posts index

Ben Rojas
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:16:06 pm

Smoke can be picky so the easiest thing to do is consolidate your FCP sequence. Put everything in one folder and throw the XML in there as well. Conform that XML and you should be good to go. If you run into any more issues, clean up the timeline. Some efx just won't come over thus causing errors and XMLs not working. CC's are usually ok, unless you've doubled them up. That one always hangs Smoke up. Other than that, I speed ramps and 4 or 8 point mattes have given me issues in the past. The cleaner your timeline, the better.

Ben Rojas
KSC KREATE
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
NotSoMuchABug: Trying to import an FCP7 sequence XML and Smoke is not responding
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:31:31 pm

Yeah, it's been an hour now, time to ditch out.

This is a fairly simple :30 spot. I think the most complicated thing in it is an alpha channel.

No filters as it was already cc'd.

I'll try to consolidate with copied media and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

So, if we are going to switch to Smoke as an editor, and we need to update an old FCP7 project (via a project XML) I bet that this workflow probably won't be supported too well right off the bat?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ben Rojas
Re: NotSoMuchABug: Trying to import an FCP7 sequence XML and Smoke is not responding
on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:27:30 pm

no reason it shouldn't work as I conform XML's on a regular basis with minimal issues. I sure hope they didn't break it ;o) I'll chime in later tonight after I give it a go.

Ben Rojas
KSC KREATE
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: NotSoMuchABug: Trying to import an FCP7 sequence XML and Smoke is not responding
on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:38:11 pm

I tried it and it's much better as long as everything is consolidated.

What I have to figure out is how to get all the audio tracks to play without assigning an output to all tracks.

I think I need to watch more training.

I found the "mixdown" pref but it seems weird that I can't set audio tracks 1-14 to playback 1-14 without a lot of clicking.

But again, I'm new to Smoke so maybe I am just AppStupid.

Jeremy

[Ben Rojas] "no reason it shouldn't work as I conform XML's on a regular basis with minimal issues."

DO you conform the whole project, or just a sequence?

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Jun 15, 2012 at 9:40:35 am

Hi,

I have release a video on how to use audio in Autodesk Smoke 2013 on the Smoke Learning Channel at http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Unfortunately I have seen a bug that when you import a XML file, sometimes the audio mapping is incorrect in the sequence and you don't hear your audio. Hopefully we'll get this sorted.

In the meantime, watching my video on working with Audio in Smoke 2013 will show you how to easy map the channels correctly to the AUDIODESK so that all your audio will be output correctly and you'll hear everything.

Good luck and thanks for the feedback!

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - SMOKEHOWTOS
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Ben Rojas
on Jun 24, 2012 at 3:40:42 am

Sorry Jeremy, just noticed the last part of your post. I just conform the sequence. If I find myself needing something, I'll just go get what I need.

So I've been playing w/conforming FCP XML's, and they're coming in. Brought in an old spot to test short form and a reel from a film to see how it handles long form. Aside from the audio bug, it conformed nicely. Playback is shotty, which I've yet to get good performance. ProRes 422 on my internal raid plays OK. I'd hoped to conform an old SD show, but the archive is missing a bunch of stuff so I settled on dragging in whatever 720x486 uncompressed 8bit I had. It plays fine, which leads me to believe performance hinges on your media storage and fast it can feed the Smoke.

So Jeremy, did you finally have luck w/your XML's?

Anybody try Adobe PPro XML's? I'm giving it a trial and XML's seem to have lots of errors.

Ben Rojas
KSC KREATE
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 24, 2012 at 2:09:38 pm

Xmls from premiere don't work. I think it's a bit on. The adobe side. However AAF files work well. So use AAF with PremierePro

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:42:26 pm

[Ben Rojas] "So Jeremy, did you finally have luck w/your XML's?"

I've tried a few and they seem to be working OK. The audio track select bug is an inconvenience, but I'm sure they will fix it.

I have yet to try an FCPX XML yet, and I have only conformed sequences and not projects.

I made some adjustments to our SAN, and rendered playback seems to be much better now (Straight media playback has been fine from the beginning), but it's all preliminary. I haven't had a bunch of time to test.

I am finding that editing in Smoke isn't very fast. All the defaults are setup so that you are basically editing on one track, and audio tends to want to stay where it is. I understand I can switch the keyboard commands around, but using the timeline as a work area seems to be defaulted to not want you to do that.

This is probably a hold over from pre 2013 users, so I guess that makes sense?

I am also having trouble with the audio and media import. It seems that once you import something through media hub, the only way to change something is to reimport with new batch settings, or change clips one by one. If you reimport, it makes a new instance of the clip.

This is very Premiere Pro like, and it doesn't seem like it's very efficient.

I need to be able to select a bunch of clips and change the audio from stereo audio to dual mono (for instance) at any time, even if I didn't import them that way the first time. People make mistakes. If I need to reimport, then it'd be nice if the clips didn't get duplicated.

When making new sequences, it'd be nice to be able to add some stereo AND mono audio tracks at the same time to help mitigate the different kinds of audio tracks.

ProRes 444 with no alpha defaults to having an alpha. If I choose not to import as a "multi" clip, then the alphas come in separately in to the bin cluttering it up. I know that Smoke is operating just as I tell it to, but it seems there should be an easier way to simply "ignore" or not import the alpha if I don't want it (and especially if there isn't one as is the case with Alexa generated ProRes444 material).

Just some observations, and I am probably not operating it 100% correctly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:36:00 pm

I should add, the compositing is kick butt, and the quality is fantastic.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:28:02 am

One more thing.

I really enjoy the interface. I have been looking at Smoke for a very long time. In every demo I watched, the interface looked intimidating and kind of messy, but that was then.

Now that I have had a chance to play with it, finally in person, it's rather remarkable.

Grant is doing a great job of keeping the tutorials "top level" and not getting too deep at first, but still showing great capability. This allows me, the new user, to navigate the interface and simply see how it works, which then informs me how other tools might work.

Even though I find the actual editing slow and kind of clunky and specific (I mean that constructively) I am enjoying the rest of the application's compositing strengths and layouts.

Thank you.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]