FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a finish editorial TV Commercial using all of Smoke tools with SFX.

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Thomas
Creating a finish editorial TV Commercial using all of Smoke tools with SFX.
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:48:12 pm

Hi All,

Great job on rolling out the tutorials. But, I would love to see a full fledge tutorial on editing a 30 sec TV commercial. Using all of Smoke tools together. Stepping out of one and when to use the other tools. Similar to work Ken did at NAB 2012. I would buy that tutorial or do they have plans for templates like After Effects and Motion created in Smoke?

It seems to me that is the way the industry is going. They even have Sony Vegas professional template created or offer by Digital Juice popping up.

Here is what I would like to see. Since local TV cable commercials, web commercials, webisode, reality shows and music videos will increase as they add more and more cable stations.

I would like Smoke to be able to handle that industry.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Creating a finish editorial TV Commercial using all of Smoke tools with SFX.
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:14:54 pm

FXPHD.com has some new 2013 Smoke tutorials.

http://www.fxphd.com/news/fxphd-fastforward-smoke-fundamentals/

This is only the first Pre-Release. So there is much more to come, and if all goes well, I think Smoke will have a great and strong community.

CFX setups could be shared.

I edit :30 spots all the time in Smoke. Maybe I should do a tutorial. :)

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
Re: Creating a finish editorial TV Commercial using all of Smoke tools with SFX.
on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:08:31 pm

I have a feeling all of the major Tutorial Companies -- Lynda, Ripple, MacProVideo, Larry Jordan -- will be doing extensive tutorials on "how-to" for Smoke 2013 including commercial finishing. This will probably happen by the time the product is released.

However, I also think that Grant Kay and The AutoDesk boys will probably release a lot more extensive how-to videos to cover all the bells and whistles and how to use them for practical situations. If you look at the Smoke Learning Channel on YouTube, there is a bunch of good stuff there for the 2012 release.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:33:19 pm

Thanks Shawn...I think we seeing something special going on here. To have access to a program that was once 75k...what 8 years ago?
Incredible, with video becoming the major hub for content creation for every type of business. Smoke has the chance to become really special.

In addition, they have the advantage of adding 3 D features every year from all their others software programs.

I'd really like the 3 D intro ---introducing the videos on AutoDesk website.

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:48:23 pm

I was at AutoDesk (Discreet) in Montreal 4 - 5 years ago finishing a project with some artists and I wanted to become a Smoke / Flame artist since I had to rely on others to do my finishing and seeing the power of these tools was a real eye-opener.

But even then, I made the argument to the development teem working on my project that it was only a matter of time before you could everything on an Mac via another application -- in this case Adobe -- in close to the time it would take on an AutoDesk product. I think a lot of people could see this distant future and it has almost arrived now.

So I'm glad that Autodesk wants to stay alive and well by offering something that makes sense to the market now: A true "all in one" tool for post.

These guys have the ability to really dominate a market top to bottom if they roll this out right and keep adding value to the package along the way.

I'm pretty sure that is the only way AutoDesk (the video production app side of things in Montreal) will survive in a time where I don't need a 10 - 100k box to bust "finishing" work out quickly.

Finally -- I'm just speculating here -- the tabs at the bottom of the interface could be expanded to add more modules for future releases. I mean, that's a lot of space used right now just to switch between the Media Hub and The Workspace. Why not add a full fledged Audio and Colour (Lustre) Tab?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Jun 14, 2012 at 6:50:03 pm

Yes Shawn we both see the FUTURE!! That was my thinking! Ability to really dominate a market top to bottom if they roll this out right and keep adding value to the package along the way.

3ds Studio Max,Lustre and Maya. Maybe take one feature a year from those programs and add to SMOKE. Wow this can get scarily!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]