a couple of questions

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon brewster
a couple of questions
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:00:40 am

is there a player in connectfx?
and
is the viewer in connectfx supposed to update as it renders?
thanks
s

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: a couple of questions
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:46:28 am

Hi,

There is no actual player in Connect FX. You need to exit ConnectFX and play the result in the sequence.

No, the viewers do not update during the render. Incidentally I found in old versions of Smoke, when the viewer did update during a render, the software was slightly slower. So i prefer the speed increase.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - SMOKEHOWTOS
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

simon brewster
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:20:57 am

thanks for your reply
i would argue that seeing a connectfx render update is far more important that a touch of speed, that goes against 20 years of flame workflow ....coming from flame you will always miss something on a complex node tree and will waste a load of time rendering the whole lot only to find a bump at frame three .... try turning around to a client after twenty minute render and tell them you have to just do it again because the type has a slight shift...
render time is also study time to analyze the comp as it renders and updates

yes using a burn node to render while you work on another comp is the workflow choice but somtimes you just want to watch

not having a player in there adds to the work flow and makes smoke less seamless

but i am sure you already know this so i am not sure why you are trying to sell a compromised work flow?
this is not just editors software you have put a batch in there and its 3500 dollars, it must be a third of the price of nukex and hiero.... so go with it and please make it work at its best

thanks again though for all the great work
s

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:27:00 am

FWIW, I turn off all viewing in After Effects when Rendering because that does render much faster than having AE show me each frame as it renders. So I personally do not need to see each frame render because I prefer the speed bump.

But perhaps Autodesk can make this a toggle option kind of like AE. If you want to see the renders you can, if you don't care, you don't have to.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

simon brewster
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:47:23 am

speed is not everything guys! buy a burn node or two if you want that
i honestly i never met one flame artist that would work that way... also clients like to see things moving on the screens that they are paying for ... and watching frame by frame what what they are reponsible for

ok lets try this .... i will show you that 3 edit seq but first it has to render for 10 mins or on resolve have to render that before it can playback a sequence .... so nothing is happening in the room for ten minutes i hope you know a few jokes....

i think you are right though no need to argue for a single workflow when it would be easy to have it work both ways
i just do not want it to be some sort of designed product difference between flame/flare and smoke

try taking batch update of flame 2013 and see what happens : )
s

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:53:37 am

[simon brewster] "i honestly i never met one flame artist that would work that way."

But if you talk to editors, there are thousands of us who work that way. Much of the excitement around the tool is coming from the NLE world so the tool was more simplified to help editors make the transition to Smoke as an end-to-end solution from editorial to finish.

I'm not talking to any Flame artists right now about Smoke, they are staying with their tool of choice. But Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro and Avid editors I'm talking to are all looking at and downloading Smoke as a potential new tool for their toolbox or even a full replacement.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

simon brewster
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:29:24 pm

hi yes i agree its a great convergence tool drawing editors closer to finishing if that is what they want to do... but remember that goes both ways it draws finishing closer to editing ..i come from the advertising rather than program world so i guess its a different place and pace ... i am just trying to add two cents worth of advice now such tools as connectfx/batch are in there
i would hope that just simply adding a option for update would be a easy fix
if not for me i would use a burn node and send the shot off on that rather than sit there and do nothing while it rendered but like i have said sometimes thats not the best approach you need to watch it grind through to find and solve issues
s

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:03:45 pm

Hey Simon! How's kicks?

Not being able to see a render going is something us Smoke linux users deal with constantly. Clients get so used to seeing frames render while they wait in the Flame bay - sometimes I think they think us Smoke users are just being lazy.

Usually I'll pop up my screen grab to the plasma so they can watch the render bar too.

Return to posts index

simon brewster
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:06:57 pm

hi Aaron doing ok here how about you?
just finished working on some acura spots ...used flare but really missed being able to quickly edit things back together so was checking out smoke ..... which looks great .. if only i could see my renders update : )
cheers
s

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]