FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick impressions on Smac2013 from a Smoke Advanced user

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Neitz
Quick impressions on Smac2013 from a Smoke Advanced user
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:05:09 am

Runs fast - even on older hardware. Very impressive.

Full range of batch nodes. You can handle almost any finishing problem. But now I need to figure out how to tackle issues you'd do with desktop tools: changing timecode and rate, changing dominance, resizing clips, pulldown, etc...

Overall interface feels very... disconnected and hard to visually identify. The square buttons and blue accents of linux Smoke are much easier to navigate with. This is all.... very grey and rounded off. Trying to be too sexy? Also Auto Key, the sneaky enemy, needs to light up more when it's on.

Return to posts index

Frederic Warren
Re: Quick impressions on Smac2013 from a Smoke Advanced user
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:23:00 am

Hello Aaron,

I will forward your comments about the interface to the graphic design team.

As for tools such as Change Timecode, Resize, etc. I would say that they are severely lacking in the first pre-release trial. Rest assured, they will make their way back before the release.

fred

Frédéric Warren

Flame / Smoke Senior User Experience Designer
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:44:34 pm

Thanks Fred - great to know you guys are here and listening.

These are just 1st impressions, to be sure. But that's what I felt as a Smoke Advanced user sitting down for the 1st time. Even though all the buttons are exactly where I'd expect them, I found myself visually hunting. It definitely looks more contemporary - FFI has such an OG industrial look that we've gotten used to.

But for sure let's do something with Auto Key :)

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:24:55 am

Hi Aaron,
The plan is to have certain desktop tools such as timecode and rates accessible through a drop down menu but I’m not going to promise anything. It is understandable that an experienced Smoke user might not like the new UI at first but I ask you to give it a chance. A lot of user experience testing went into this change and design. Lastly the auto key is a sneaky enemy and we appreciate your feedback.

Ken LaRue
Autodesk Smoke Technical Marketing Manager

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:41:02 am

After spending 3 days on the UI at NAB and doing non stop demos for 10 hours, when I got back home and jumped back on my Smoke 2012 version, I was stunned by the old UI. It just felt so disorganized and colors that were everywhere and made no sense.

The new UI might take a bit of getting used to and It does help if you're on a larger screen. A 15" MBP doesn't do the UI any justice.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:38:24 pm

Thanks for replying Ken!

My UI impression is definitely a 1st impression. Luckily every button is exactly where you expect it to be - so you're of and running pretty quick.

Most of the desktop tools I don't use, honestly. Primarily Timecode, Pulldown, Resize, Field tools, Burn Letterbox, and of course Paint. All those stabilizers and keyers and Flame FX tools make more sense in Batch.

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:45:05 am

Yes - AUTOKEY should be bright yellow like 2012! It will make the enemy less sneaky!

(Sometimes he's a friend, but when he's on as default behaviour... enemy!) ;-)

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Frederic Warren
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:03:28 am

It shouldn't be on by default anymore. I think it is in the Modular Keyer still, but that should be corrected.

fred

Frédéric Warren

Flame / Smoke Senior User Experience Designer
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:42:13 am

Hi all ...being a first time user of SMOKE. But coming from using AutoDesk Combustion for over 6 year. (Love the UI)

Where are the attention to details on audio tools.(Tutorials) I get the feeling in the Smoke world...Smoke is great for TV Editorial Commercials,Music Videos and Film Traliers. If that's the case ..I haven't found to much info pertaing to audio.

In addition ...I have be contrated to work on 20 Fashion TV episodes. Early next year.

By question is where are audio tools? (Videos).

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:34:29 am

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome aboard.

You can find a getting start video series to Smoke 2013 on the Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel.

http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

At the bottom of the list is a video dedicated just for audio.

Please let me know what other parts of audio you think need to be covered after watching it.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - SMOKEHOWTOS
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:02:50 pm

Hi Grant ...the one thing that is missing,

Return to posts index

Alex Harding
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:29:31 am

Hi,

As a smoke user I really miss some kind of AE style 'interpret footage' option. Lets say I have some elements as quicktimes that are the wrong framerate for my sequence. I just want to ignore the meta data and play them frame for frame at the right rate for my project without having to use any timewarps or processing on the desktop.

Is this already possible? Would love to know how!

Alex

Return to posts index

Yevgeniy K'banchik
on Jun 15, 2012 at 5:01:46 pm

Yes, I agree the first impression is a bit strange from new UI, but you getting used to it in few days. My main concern is Paint tool. There is no Autopaint anymore. I know it might be just for this version.
But to have it just in batch (cf) i think not very practical. i think it should be like generators available from drop down menu. And one thing I don't like at all is a tab windows. the UI of Smoke always had this fill, that it's smarter then you, and tab windows don't have that ;-) Sorry for critique.
In other ways the release is I would say a big break through.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]