FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wacom Question Number 1

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Wacom Question Number 1
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:27:17 pm

Is there a way I can turn off pen mode? I use mouse mode on my pen as pen mode drives me batty.

If not, is there a better way to modify the Wacom settings? The Wacom system perfs as well as Smoke "input devices" control panel seem to do nothing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
Re: Wacom Question Number 1
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:37:47 pm

Jeremy,
Go into the preferences (command & ,)and on the input device tab enable use mouse curser.

Ken LaRue
Autodesk Smoke Technical Marketing Manager

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:43:42 pm

Hi. Thanks, Ken.

All that seems to do is change the target cursor to a regular looking mouse cursor.

It doesn't seem to change the function at all.

Even if I use the Wacom mouse, it doesn't function like a mouse.

Any other ideas?

Perhaps I need an older Wacom driver or something?

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:51:23 pm

Sorry I misunderstood you. The tablet pen works a little different, you need to press down and make contact with the item you want to access the right click menu for. You can press the bottom button before or after you make contact but you can't just hoover over an item and press the bottom button you need to make contact with the clip or track, etc..

Ken LaRue

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:02:38 pm

Thanks for your help, this is what I mean, though (see embedded pics).

As it is now, the pen is mapped directly to the wacom surface, which means every time I move my hand away from the wacom, the cursor does not stick to the screen position I need it to be. I have a small wacom and sometimes I have to drag the cursor, reset, then drag again. This currently isn't possible as if I put the pen in the lower right corner, drag to the upper left corner and try and leave the cursor there to position my hand, the cursor jumps back to where my hand is repositioned.

I'd rather use the "mouse" mode in that the functionality works like a mouse, and less like the pen, although I still use the pen to control the movements.

pics here:

mousemode.png

penmode.png

Hope that makes sense!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:02:59 pm

[Ken LaRue] "Sorry I misunderstood you. The tablet pen works a little different, you need to press down and make contact with the item you want to access the right click menu for. You can press the bottom button before or after you make contact but you can't just hoover over an item and press the bottom button you need to make contact with the clip or track, etc..
"

I think Jeremy wants the pen to operate like a mouse in the sense of how the cursor moves around the screen. With the tablet, the pen works relative to the position of the pen to where it is used on the tablet. So if the cursor is in the upper left of your computer screen and you touch the bottom right corner of your tablet, the cursor jumps to that point on your screen.

What Jeremy is saying is (I think) is that he wants the cursor to operate as if he was using a mouse where the cursor will just start moving again from the point it is sitting at. Rather than jumping to a different position on the screen when you touch the tablet with the pen.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:06:41 pm

[walter biscardi] "What Jeremy is saying is (I think) is that he wants the cursor to operate as if he was using a mouse where the cursor will just start moving again from the point it is sitting at. Rather than jumping to a different position on the screen when you touch the tablet with the pen."

Yes, thank you, Walter, that's exactly what I mean.

Ken-

A regular three button mouse works as expected.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:11:17 pm

Thank you Walter :-) I have been trying to answer a lot of post today and several have been about the way the pen's right click is working. I need to read a little slower. Unfortunately I do not know of any way to set this functionality in Smoke but I will ask others and post if I find an answer. For now I have no answer, sorry Jeremy!

Ken LaRue

Return to posts index

Frederic Warren
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:15:33 am

Unfortunately, Smoke has never supported this mode.

I'll have a look to see if this is something we could easily support in the future.

Thanks for your feedback

fred

Frédéric Warren

Flame / Smoke Senior User Experience Designer
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:38:09 am

Thanks, Frederic.

Does this mean that the Wacom control panel is essentially "ignored"?

Also, is there an official "bug report" mechanism?

Return to posts index

Frederic Warren
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:05:34 am

I don't think it is completly ignored, but we do override some functions in the software.

As for a bug reporting form, there is no offcial one. You can post them here or on the Smoke 2013 forum on The Area (http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-smoke/smoke-2013). These are the two main forums we are monitoring.

fred

Frédéric Warren

Flame / Smoke Senior User Experience Designer
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:22:17 am

Thanks so much, Frederic.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:00:56 pm

FYI we are hearing from some other uses that they are also having problems with the Wacom tablet with the pen and the mouse that comes with the tablet. There seems to me a mapping problem some people are experiencing. Can you try and use another standard 3 button mouse to see if this problem is happening to it also? Thanks

Ken LaRue

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]