FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to create and distribute simple motion GFX templates in Smoke 2013?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Larkin
Is there a way to create and distribute simple motion GFX templates in Smoke 2013?
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:37:24 pm

One of the fundamental disappointments we have in all other applications outside of FCP, it the ease of deploying animated lower thirds on the timeline.

The way Apple Motion allows you to "publish" an animated lower third (or any motion GFX package) so that you have an editable text string inside of FCP is so helpful to our shop. This means editors don't have to crack open AE or another package; they just drag and drop the motion GFX clip that is always in the Effects Tab > Master Templates onto their timeline and edit the text to fit the show. Total no brainer.

This was one of the largest drawbacks we had with jumping on Premiere since with Adobe you have to crack open AE to work with motion GFX -- even on the simplest repetitive lower thirds animations.

It there a simple way to save and deploy animated lower thirds or other motion GFX templates in Smoke?

And what about installing such templates across a network of machines? (Like if you have a series and multiple editors that need these motion GFX packages on their machines too.)

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Is there a way to create and distribute simple motion GFX templates in Smoke 2013?
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:12:39 pm

Once you built your lower 3rd in ConnectFX. You can save it, and simply reload it. You can then copy the ConnectFX clip again and again on your timeline as needed for titles over clips.

You can even save the ConnectFX setup with the user profile or the Project and it will be in a little BIN in ConnectFX.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
Re: Is there a way to create and distribute simple motion GFX templates in Smoke 2013?
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:31:03 pm

And it is easy to simply edit the text -- say swap one name for another -- without having to step too deep into another set of modules or submenus? In FCP it is literally a double click of the title on your timeline, typing the text in the source viewer and pressing "enter". You don't have to do anything else -- the animation is there and just works so you don't need any GFX guy to lay these in on your show if it was setup right in Motion.

Also, you could open up a ConnectFX created lower third clip from another editors project (saved on your network somewhere) and save this lower third on your machine as part of your user profile? I guess that is how you would deploy a bunch of lower third templates for different shows on different machines?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:52:55 pm

Instead of using the TEXT node in ConnectFx, you can create the graphics...exit CFX then use the TEXT soft effect. Then you can edit and just change the text right from the timeline, without having to go to CFX.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Frederic Warren
on Jun 12, 2012 at 5:06:53 pm

You can also use Action (which is a 3D environment within Connect FX that includes 3D Text) to create more complex Motion Graphics. You will be able to copy the Connect FX setup from one segment to the other just as Brian described afterward.

Frédéric Warren

Flame / Smoke Senior User Experience Designer
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:23:23 am

Thanks Guys,

I've been testing the download all day.

Very similar to FCP in so many ways. (I don't know why you can't play 2x + speed when hitting the J or L keys multiple times, but otherwise I feel right at home.)

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:56:10 pm

Sounds good guys ...I hear a market developing. Right now...if someone can start a business---creating animated lower third template and graphic openings etc. Just like they did for Motion. http://www.motionvfx.com/

I see that can become a big revenue stream. With web commercials and local cable commercials really growing in each market.

I can really see someone creating motion graphic template from 3ds Studio Max or Maya etc. So can can be integrated into Smoke.
Although I can create motion graphic for myself. It's starting to be very time consuming.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]