FORUMS: list search recent posts

No new Mac Pro, no GPU accelerated rendering ?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Mortner
No new Mac Pro, no GPU accelerated rendering ?
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:23:46 am

Hello all,

Just a curious thing. Is anyone concerned about the lack of a new Mac Pro to run this on ? And will there ever be GPU real-time
rendering action for Smoke 2013 ?

I'm not having a go Im just wondering what the general feelings are :)

James

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: No new Mac Pro, no GPU accelerated rendering ?
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:09:46 am

We are going to run it on iMacs just like Autodesk did at NAB.

According to the Apple store, those three Mac Pros are "new.". Not sure what people were expecting but I'm surprised the machines are even still being sold.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Frederic Warren
on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:43:02 pm

There are already some rumors that Mac Pro and iMac will be updated in 2013. The real update, not the "refresh" that Apple did yesterday.

Frédéric Warren

Flame / Smoke Senior User Experience Designer
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:27:50 pm

Yes, I want to believe that too. I'm just struggling with the idea that we could be waiting an awfully long time.

If we have to switch to iMac, I'd still like to have fibre channel storage and upgradeable GPUs. Hence my quesiotn about accelerated rendering...

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:39:48 pm

Another year is too long for most shops who needed a replacement a year ago.

I would be more interested in an iMac with 4 x 8Lane Thunderbolt (2.0) ports than a new MacPro now. And I think that's closer to what we're going to see in the distant future.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:39:56 pm

Guys we waited 2 years for this "update"! There is no real update coming. This is all we're getting. By 2013 apple will have new faster thunderbolt and will want to drop pci entirely. The "new" 2013 MacPro will be unrecognizable. Autodesk is targeting iMacs and MBPs for 2013 for a very good reason. Let's not stick our heads in the sand for rumors from David "fcpx is awesome" Pogue.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:21:08 pm

[Frederic Warren] "There are already some rumors that Mac Pro and iMac will be updated in 2013. The real update, not the "refresh" that Apple did yesterday."

You mean like those substantiated rumors about the Mac Pro being introduced at the keynote yesterday? How'd that work out? :)

Seriously, how long are people going to live on rumors? The PC desktops are already surpassing what Apple has to offer from a tower standpoint. Thunderbolt is rolling out already on PC. You get more bang for the buck from PC right now.

As someone playing with a Dell Workstation and also testing a ProMax One, I can tell you that once you're inside the application, the OS doesn't matter. And I can also tell you that Adobe CS6 runs faster on the PC than it does on the Mac. MUCH faster.

So for those of you who want to wait for the next Mac Pro and tell us "I told you so" if and when it actually comes along, by all means do sit tight and wait. I'm running a business and sitting around waiting on rumors while technology just passes on by doesn't work for me. So I'm still planning out our transition to iMacs and PCs for "Big Iron."

IF a new Mac Pro comes out in 2013 I'll certainly consider it depending on the specs, but I'm definitely not going to wait for it either.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]