FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does anyone know how project files, intermediary files, and render caches are manged in the new Smoke?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Larkin
Does anyone know how project files, intermediary files, and render caches are manged in the new Smoke?
on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:21:16 pm

I know I'm jumping the gun here since the release is imminent, but if anyone knows, can they tell me:

1) Do you set a intermediary / render location -- like FCP's Capture Scratch -- or do they automatically go into the directory of the project?

2) Does the project file contain any media or is it more like a FCP file and it can opened from anywhere and link to media in any directory?

3) If I have a bunch of files I want to be transcoded into ProRes as an intermediary, Will Smoke also keep a copy of the originals somewhere for future reference?

4) When I finish a project and I want to store it / archive it somewhere, is there an easy way to purge all the intermediary files and renders so that all I have is the project file and original (un-transcoded media)?

5) Can Smoke 2013 rely on QuickTime and QT Plugins to read and transcode obscure codecs? For instance if I have an XVID or DIVX wrapped in Quicktime file that QT sees through the Perian plugin, will Smoke be able to create an intermediary for this file?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Does anyone know how project files, intermediary files, and render caches are manged in the new Smoke?
on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:42:46 pm

[Shawn Larkin] "1) Do you set a intermediary / render location -- like FCP's Capture Scratch -- or do they automatically go into the directory of the project?

2) Does the project file contain any media or is it more like a FCP file and it can opened from anywhere and link to media in any directory?

3) If I have a bunch of files I want to be transcoded into ProRes as an intermediary, Will Smoke also keep a copy of the originals somewhere for future reference?

4) When I finish a project and I want to store it / archive it somewhere, is there an easy way to purge all the intermediary files and renders so that all I have is the project file and original (un-transcoded media)?

5) Can Smoke 2013 rely on QuickTime and QT Plugins to read and transcode obscure codecs? For instance if I have an XVID or DIVX wrapped in Quicktime file that QT sees through the Perian plugin, will Smoke be able to create an intermediary for this file?"

1. Everything gets rendered to the Framestore (capture scratch), setups for effects get saved to the Project folder. The clip database for Smoke is quite complex as pieces and parts an in several folders.

2. There really isn't a Project file per se. You have a Project folder with many subfolders for setups saved. Most are empty.
Clip database info is stored in another folder /usr/discreet/clip
and Media is stored on your framestore or it's linked to it's original location on a drive.

3. YES. When you "create Project Media" it wil transcode and make new media in the framestore... individual frames of prores .mov. The metadata of that clip will retain the original path location, and is visible in the UI.
In 2012 there was a feature to automatically link back to the original file.. I believe this is still possible.. or will be again.

4. There is a robust archive process. You can archive linked media or transcoded media or both. It all gets placed in a neat compressed file structure.

5. Usually codec support needs to be written in to the software. It's doesn't completely rely on QT codecs installed. Current intermediates are all of the flavors of Prores form proxy to 4444

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
Re: Does anyone know how project files, intermediary files, and render caches are manged in the new Smoke?
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:00:33 pm

Hi,
Just to be clear while Brian is correct when he writes "4. There is a robust archive process. You can archive linked media or transcoded media or both. It all gets placed in a neat compressed file structure." I want to clarify that the archive/restore features will not be in the pre-release 01 build. It will be in 2013 before the final shipping version.

Ken LaRue
Autodesk Smoke Technical Marketing Manager

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:04:09 pm

Yes. I like to reference the "Big Picture".

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:21:57 pm

Thanks for the followup. Here is where i'm going with this:

1) Smac 2013 can do real "drag and drop" editing (and high end finishing of course). So I can take any file in any codec QT can read -- via plugin or native codec support -- and drop it in Media Hub and it transcodes to a flavour of ProRes for me to work from.

2) I finish the project and purge all the ProRes (somehow) and keep the originals or links to the originals for archive or just later use. However, this archive would need to be indexable if I do keep the originals with it so a DAM or even The Finder can find that media for a future project. It couldn't be a zipped package.

I'm one of those that is hoping we can use SMAC 2013 for all editing -- offline and online -- for any media type. Obviously, until we see the editing functionality and media management, this might not be a reality.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:35:22 pm

As far as archiving goes... in the 2012 version. If you are using linked files, then you can archive your project/sequence, undrendered, and all of the effects metadata will get saved and provide pointers to your linked media. (original files) You would then just need to save off this media in it's folder structure along with the metadata project archive.

And as stated this is not in the PreRelease1 version, so it could change.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
on Jun 8, 2012 at 10:58:26 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to copy a sequence of part of a sequence from one project to another in the new Smoke?

This is pretty easy to do in FCP, but not so much if few other NLEs.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 9, 2012 at 12:07:09 pm

Although it won't be a part of PreRelease1, I imagine, that in the Media Hub, much like you can browse your physical media locations, you will be able to browse a project, and it's media library. Then you can grab and media from it, including a sequence and copy or move it into your new project.

This is how it's currently done in 2012.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]