FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke 2013 and Blackmagic UltraStudio 3D

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoffrey Brown
Smoke 2013 and Blackmagic UltraStudio 3D
on Jun 4, 2012 at 7:05:56 am

Hi All

Anybody know if Smoke 2013 will work with BM UltraStudio 3D.
I really don't want to buy AJA kit if at all possible.
BM UltraStudio is 4:4:4 so it should work
How about it Marc-Andre?

Cheers
Geoffrey Brown
DP, Editor

Return to posts index

Marc-Andre Ferguson
Re: Smoke 2013 and Blackmagic UltraStudio 3D
on Jun 4, 2012 at 12:41:19 pm

For now, Smoke only supports AJA hardware for Video I/O.
Hope this helps,

Marc-André Ferguson
Industry Manager for Smoke
Autodesk Media&Entertainment

Follow me on Twitter : @iluminance
Read my blog : Smoke&Dagger
Click to pre-register for the Smoke 2013 Pre-Release Trial

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Brown
on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:12:52 pm

Thanks for the update.
You say "for now", are you looking to include other monitor/IO hardware in the near future?
Please understand that while the app looks exciting and reasonable value for money, if we have to start investing in additional kit to make it work professionally it starts to make it a 'maybe' purchase as opposed to a 'must have'
Please ask your team to reconsider a quick roll out of monitoring options to widen the potential uptake/user base.
I'm sure others will agree
Thanks

Cheers
Geoffrey Brown
DP, Editor

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:44:24 am

[Geoffrey Brown] "You say "for now", are you looking to include other monitor/IO hardware in the near future?"

As I have learned through working with other similar companies, Autodesk is a publicly traded company and as such, they are very limited in what they can comment on in terms of future changes to their products. So at the moment all they can really say is that "AJA I/O is what is supported by the software at this time."

BMD support was one of the first things I asked about during the NAB event and I got the same answer you did. That doesn't mean anything either way it just means that as of right now AJA is the only product supported for Autodesk Smoke 2013. If there is a change to that in the future, we'll hear about it when Autodesk is ready to announce it. Again, that's an "if".

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Brown
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:10:02 am

Thanks Walter

I agree with what you say, but I still think it's a shame that all these companies, not to single out Autodesk, seem to 'own goal' themselves when it comes to the little but important details that allow the end user to transition to a product without incurring additional costs. How hard is it to issue SDK's to all the 3rd party suppliers? Locking into one supplier makes little business sense.

I for one won't bother downloading the trial as I won't be able to evaluate it in the professional environment that I work. It's not like we're not spoilt for choice in the NLE/VFX areas. There are plenty of competing products for sale and in these tight financial times consumers can't afford to keep updating kit for every new product that comes along.

'C'est la vie'

Cheers
Geoffrey Brown
DP, Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]