FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video output

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bjarki Gudjonsson
Video output
on May 2, 2012 at 5:26:38 pm

Hi guys!

Really excited about the new Smoke. The reason I didn't move before was that the price point wasn't really justifiable and also the need for a Kona 3 card was a dealbreaker for me.

Any word on what IO hardware the 2013 version will support? I'm currently running on a Kona LHi and a Decklink Extreme 3D on my machines. Would love to know whether one of those will work.

Thanks,
Bjarki

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Video output
on May 2, 2012 at 9:32:47 pm

Kona 3G and IoXT were the only two announced supported devices at NAB.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on May 3, 2012 at 12:03:57 am

Thanks Walter. Will you be getting one? What are your thoughts?

B.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 3, 2012 at 12:10:51 am

You mean Smoke? Yeah, at least one, maybe 5 depending on how it all works out.

We already have one AJA Kona 3G though we're going to be moving to iMacs in the near future which will bring IoXT's and T-Taps into our shop.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 7, 2012 at 9:49:04 pm

In my opinion the lack of Lustre will force me to do color correction session in DaVinci, to then go to Smoke for finishing and a few color fixes. Smoke 2013 doesn't seem to me strong enough for color correction on a session with a client.
That leaves the problem of the io card compatibility, Smoke uses Kona and DaVinci blackmagic.
As for the panels, it would be nice if Smoke would support the Tangent Waves too. The Avid series are not as good.

Return to posts index

Marc-André Ferguson
on May 7, 2012 at 4:54:17 pm

Hello Bjarki, thanks for your interest in Smoke 2013.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you use your Decklink for VTR I/O, as opposed to broadcast monitoring?

Thanks!

Marc-André Ferguson
Industry Manager for Smoke
Autodesk Media&Entertainment

Follow me on Twitter : @iluminance
Find out more about Smoke for Mac : autodesk.com/smokeformac

Return to posts index

vince gaffney
on May 7, 2012 at 10:58:39 pm

Marc-Andre,

I know the question was for Bjarki, but if you're interested in a small survey sample, I use my decklink for monitoring only as I'm 100% file based workflow. Cannot wait to try Smoke 2013.

Vince Gaffney

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 11, 2012 at 8:27:58 pm

Just to chime in, I'm using BMD Intenstiy Extreme with my iMac i7 27" and 99% use it for monitoring. But part of the reason I chose it was to use it for DaVinci as well vs. say Matrox MXO2 mini which I also have. I'm looking at Smoke as a FCP 7 and Motion / AE replacement. I'm pretty much a do it all in one shop person except for omf to protools, so something like Smoke looks like a good fit. Buying IOXT is overkill for my needs.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 12, 2012 at 2:24:16 am

[Bret Williams] "Just to chime in, I'm using BMD Intenstiy Extreme with my iMac i7 27" and 99% use it for monitoring."

More than likely that solution won't work. Smoke is made for 4:4:4 types of workflows originally and if you look at the AJA Kona 3, 3G and IoXT they all support 4:4:4 output. Even the Kona LHi is not mentioned as supported and that's a good card that we use here in the shop.

So I would expect that if BMD products would be supported in the future, it would be something equal to what the the AJA Products are showing us. So maybe something like the UltraStudio 3D would be the product you would need if you want to stay with BMD. But that's just a guess based on the specs of the AJA products that Autodesk has announced.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

John Moore
on Jun 11, 2012 at 1:04:35 pm

Hi Marc-Andre, I just use it for monitoring also. Best Wishes John

John R Moore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]