FORUMS: list search recent posts

… So What's Next?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Gray
… So What's Next?
on Mar 7, 2014 at 10:31:06 pm

So it's been about a year since I started using Smoke on Mac. Some things I love. Some things I don't. A little history on me. I started out 15 years ago on Avid systems. Worked my way through the Meridian days, then Adrenalines & finally Symphony running on Nitris. During that time I've worked on tons of projects with FCP & Premiere though Media Composer was always my edit primary tool. My career has been split evenly between editing, compositing and animation. After Effects and Cinema are obviously heavily thrown into the mix.

So enough of that. When Smoke on Mac 2013 came out my current shop was eager to see what was the next big purchase… this being in the wake of the FCP 7 debacle. With shared storage and large format concerns being a high priority Avid quickly got ruled out. At the time there was no Frame Flex and the powers that be did not want to buy an ISIS.

That left us with the choice of Smoke and that's what we did. We purchased 12 or more licenses and have it installed in every edit suite. The growing pangs have been felt by all, but, speaking for myself, I am getting use to it. I still lean on After Effects for most of my effects as Smoke just doesn't have all the plugins that I am use to using… especially that particle systems. I am told that in order to get similar tools I have to switch up to Flame… and that brings me to my rather long winded point.

What is next for Smoke on Mac? I've heard some insider rumors, that at this time I will not mention, but wanted to hear from some of you fine folks in this forum. Some of the information that I have heard sure reminds me of the old days of *Edit or Combustion or Inferno… and countless other EOL'd products from Autodesk.

In all honesty, I find their product line development to be confusing and somewhat bi-polar. Huge campaigns for one line will be pushed on the end user only to be re-branded and discontinued in favor of some new latest and greatest product. I have little faith in the longevity of their software and am leery of what they intend to do with Smoke on Mac.

Any ideas? Trust me, I am not trying to inflame a product war.

P.S. I am posting this in the AREA as well.

Thanks Fellow Bovines,

Justin Gray
Senior Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Gray Planet
https://vimeo.com/grayplanet

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
Re: … So What's Next?
on Mar 8, 2014 at 10:17:17 pm

I''ve been asking the same question, I guess we'll find out in about a month.
But the way I see it now since the new Mac Pros doesn't support Nvidia cards anymore, and there's a lot of conflicts with Cuda on Mavericks, in order for Autodesk to run Smoke for Mac they will need to adapt the app to OpenCL 2, and that's no easy task.
On top of that, there's also the secrecy of Apple and their constant changing that's makes the future of any software vendor on Mac very uncertain.
Worse case scenario I doubt they will discontinue the Linux version for now, but if they keep it at the current price eventually it will phase out, unless other departments can support it, like Autocad.

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
on Mar 8, 2014 at 11:36:55 pm

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about this. I would sure like to hear from Brian or Grant on this matter.

Thanks Fellow Bovines,

Justin Gray
Gray Planet

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:45:20 pm

[Justin Gray] "I would sure like to hear from Brian or Grant on this matter."

I'm sure they, or anyone who has any information on this matter, are tied by NDAs so at this point all we can do is read the tea leaves.

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:10:39 pm

If there was anything to be excited about there would be press releases, blog payola etc

My guess for the next smoke is bug fixes and some minor new features

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:17:16 pm

Is be happy with simple bug fixes. The more I dive into the program the more bugs I find.

Thanks Fellow Bovines,

Justin Gray
Gray Planet

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:22:11 pm

Hi Everyone,
I can't say anything just yet but I'll be at NAB for reason!

Ken LaRue
Autodesk Smoke Technical Marketing Manager

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:32:38 pm

Flame discontinued, all flame-specific features ported to Smoke, Smoke now free but requires a $30000 panel to navigate to timecodes

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Mar 15, 2014 at 8:49:08 am

haha, not again please :)
Maybe a 5000$ panel would do which could act as dongle and sales would sky rocket.

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.0.021
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:33:54 pm

Ha! Funny guys….

That's all I have to say about that ;)

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
Re: � So What's Next?
on Mar 16, 2014 at 7:29:27 pm

I'm having a good feeling about Smoke this year, hopefully the hammering with stop (FCP X, DaVinci Lite, Adobe CC, NMP)

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:54:14 am

IMHO I would love to see Flair and Flame ported over to MAC.

With the recent 10.9 OS release and crazy Apple OS Structures I was hoping this would open the floodgates for the future release of Applications on this OS, coming from a software development background (and post) I know it is a 18 month cycle and with Mavericks release this would put the direction of the software as well.

Smoke is a brilliant tool and I would like to see more plugin integration of partners like RedGiant, Imagineer, Shedload of FxFactory companies out there, sure online is a Buy the editor but today things are getting cheaper and cheaper and faster, faster, so to create that page turn that a client wants is a nightmare and unfortunately thats what the client wants !

Smoke has come a hell of a long way from the 2010 Rollout and I am looking forward to seeing what AutoDesk do at NAB, hell i will be front row centre ...

Port the rest of the tools and they will come.

FCP 7
FCPX 10
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
6 x 2D teranes 2D
4 x BMD Express
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Check out the free iBook broadcast delivery 101 on itunes

Return to posts index

Eugene Lehnert
on Mar 22, 2014 at 4:51:52 pm

I want two windows and an affordable offline version that does not contain Connect FX.

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on Mar 24, 2014 at 3:18:01 pm

FCP.

Studio - eMac G4, 256mb ram, Final Cut DV
Mobile - IBM R50, 1024mb ram, 80gb Hitachi Travelstar ATA133 7200rpm hard drive

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 2, 2014 at 9:32:08 pm

NAB is next....
Smoke 2015 is next Gen :)

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.0.021

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Apr 2, 2014 at 9:59:24 pm

NAB is just days away and I'm pretty excited about my presentation! So come by the both to visit me at the Smoke pod and watch my stage demo. Also I'm giving a presentation at the SuperMeet on Tuesday night.

Ken LaRue

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:54:12 am

If there live coverage again ?
I am stuck in rainy Denmark and would love to see things unveiling online.

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.0.021

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Apr 3, 2014 at 2:32:20 pm

Hi,

We will be streaming the demos from our booth through the Autodesk AREA website. Check out there next week and you should be able to see everything we offer :)

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Ken LaRue
on Apr 3, 2014 at 3:53:56 pm

Hi Everyone,
As Grant posted, yes we will be streaming the NAB main stage presentations live at The Area. Here is my current schedule for my stage demos of Smoke. Monday 12:00 pm (noon), Tuesday 10:30 am, Wednesday 12:00 pm, Thursday 12:00 pm. These times are all U.S. Pacific Time.

I recommend checking the online schedule each morning as these schedules tend to change once in a while.

If you are going to NAB I will be working the Smoke demo pod for 5 to 6 hours a day so come visit me for some one on one time.

Ken LaRue

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:10:45 pm

You know Ken, I could have joined you on the Smoke Pods to help out during those 5-6 hrs. :)

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:21:39 pm

Area Schedule...
12:30 PM Take a Tour of Autodesk® Smoke® 2015

YEESSS !!

A slice of color...