FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke 2015 Preferences

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Corey
Smoke 2015 Preferences
on Apr 30, 2014 at 1:14:57 am

I'm working with 2015 and have noticed a few interface items that seem a little off (Smoke Classic hotkeys):

-the swipe menus are not as responsive. I have turned off the overlays and checked the mapping preferences on my Wacom tablet but nothing seems to change the responsiveness. I have to swipe several times to get a response, never had this problem in 2011,12 or 13.

-when opening a sequence I have to right click and select open to get it to load into a record timeline, a double click defaults to a source timeline. Can this be turned off?

-is it possible to set the default layout to thumbnails? Each time I load a new record sequence it defaults to the source/record view. Even better if I could turn off that layout all together and never see it again.

-Anyway to return the timeline trim functions to the pre-2013/final cut hybrid hotkeys. Having to be in trim mode to use trim to positioner is counterintuitive. I'd really like to be able to use trim tail/head the way they were initially designed.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam Corey
DC Collective
Design - Edit - Create
http://www.dccollective.tv

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Smoke 2015 Preferences
on Apr 30, 2014 at 1:53:38 am

1. Swipe menus - Smoke can now respect the Wacom Settings of the OS. There is an option to enable that in Prefs. You may need to bring in the boarders of the wacom in a bit. The default is 5%, and I think I have mine set to 10%.

2. Sequence now need to be opened via Right Click or drag and drop to the timeline area to be opened. Too many people, including me, would accidentally open a source as a sequence when they were editing by double clicking.

3. I actually never get the Src/Record. I always get thumbnail view. It should remember the last setting. I do use the Smoke Classic user profile and not FCP, so that may be the difference.

4. You say pre-2013, do you mean 2012? As far as I can remember, you always had to be in trim mode to trim. Even in 2012. But there it was just a button on/off. So no, in order to trim, you must be in trim.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Adam Corey
Re: Smoke 2015 Preferences
on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:58:20 am

Brian,

Thanks for the response. I work with Smoke hotkeys as well, but for some reason it defaults back to the Src/Rec layout everytime. I'll give the wacom settings another look, sounds like it might be the case. I did notice that in the preferences but thought it wasn't working, as I've been unable to get the click buttons on the pen to following the OS settings I have.

It's too bad about the trim mode. Personally I feel like Autodesk made too many of the concessions to get new customers while not worrying about the loyal users. The company doesn't owe me anything and I couldn't care less about the subscription plan model despite being someone who's owned multiple seats since the first release on Mac. That said, I'm consistently disenchanted with the "dumbening" of a a great product. I've, sadly, resorted to off line cuts in Premiere Pro and online CC in Smoke. Smoke WAS a great editing tool but now it's gotten bogged down in trying to capture a market that's already left for Adobe and in the process is abandoning a loyal users like me. I know some, including you, like it for offline but it's just not as intuitive anymore with the all the hotkey changes.

It's a shame. Much like Avid (microsoft) DS, Smoke had a lot of potential but just wasn't a flagship product for a publicly traded company. Porting over a 3d tracker with the promise of fewer features and less compatibility in the future is the sign of a product that's going to be left to wither on the vine. Many will argue that smoke isn't going anywhere, but that's what avid told me about DS when I decided to go with Smoke in 2010.

Adam Corey
DC Collective
Design - Edit - Create
http://www.dccollective.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]