FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke Issues and going back to Avid

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David McLasty
Smoke Issues and going back to Avid
on Feb 19, 2014 at 9:37:57 pm

I've been a freelancer for many years and all of my work is done out of a home office. Right now I have a Flame system (2014) that gets 80% of my work. Last year I bought Smoke for Mac so I can do some smaller jobs, plus I can share files with Flame if needed.

I can honestly say It's been a nightmare. I'm running Smoke 2013 SP2 on a MacPro and everything, Smoke is fine. The problems arise when I try to create proxies or render frame out. My system either crashes or slows down to a crawl. And it's a 50-50 chance that it will even render at all. It's always a wiretap issue of some sorts. Repeated calls to AD have not solved the issue. I do have 5 Dell blades that act as my "burn" on the Flame side of things, but I wanted to keep this system separate for a few reasons. Plus I'm beginning not to like the proprietary archive formats since that has caused issues in the past when trying to open a project I did in Inferno 4 years ago, the archive would not open!

Granted I'm sure AD has their reasons for doing what they do, but I've started going back to Avid, AE and Scratch for some smaller clients. I would like to stay in Smoke if possible, but it's just been a big PITA for me.

Has anyone moved away from Smoke lately? Did you come back and why?

Any word on 2014?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Smoke Issues and going back to Avid
on Feb 19, 2014 at 9:55:23 pm

You would be a bit better off if you were running Smoke 2013 Ext 1. If you are paying for a Flame 2014 (subscription I assume) surely the Smoke subscription won't break you and it would help solve some of the issues as many many bugs were fixed.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Michel Jones
Re: Smoke Issues and going back to Avid
on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:52:10 am

You can't break it..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved