FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Smoke fit the all in one bill?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Kunstle
Does Smoke fit the all in one bill?
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:48:18 am

First of all let me say that I love the Creative Cow forum. While this is my first post, I have been reading the forum for many, many years.

I am looking for a tool that can jump back and forth between grading, editing, and graphics throughout the process. I know if you look at each tool separately there are better options but have to jump between the three constantly when working with a client. Is smoke the best option for all three? As we grow and get more into 3d graphics & compositing is there anything major I will find missing?

Little background. I am originally a FCP, Apple Color, Shake guy (remember shake?). Then I moved to the Adobe Suite, nice tools but clunky at times. While it is nice you can send a project around it would be even better if all programs could work from the same file. Have downloaded the Smoke trial and like it so far but want to see if the experts here at CCow have any advice before I put it onto a project.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Does Smoke fit the all in one bill?
on Nov 12, 2013 at 4:07:06 pm

Smoke works really well as an all-in-one tool. Yes, it does have some limitations in higher end VFX. (no particles, no projections) and there are some limitations with media management. (relinking sources. Sequence relinking however is awesome.)

It has good color tools and the node based workflow can give you the flexibility you need in masking and color with a little work.

I mainly do spot work, but I have also done some long form,and pure editorial as well.

The all-in-one workflow does allow you to edit, color, and effect shots and do some motion graphics all at the same time. So creatively it works well.

Here is a sample of my work with editing, graphics, and 3D elements.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kunstle
on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:37:36 am

Thanks for the response, that is kind of what I figured. I think it is time to do a full test project to see what the workflow is like.

No particles is rough, I am a big particle and array fan. Do you know if there are any plug it options?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:22:49 pm

Not really. Genarts Sapphire are the main plugins for Smoke Mac.
I generally make particles outside of Smoke in Particle Illusion or Particular. Then comp them in.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]