FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline Interface in Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
harrison Schaaf
Timeline Interface in Smoke
on Jul 30, 2013 at 3:04:53 am

Hi guys. Long-time FCP7 user, and for the past year or so, a very enthusiastic Premiere Pro CS6 editor. New job requires me to work in Smoke because we are working heavily with Smoke's 3D tools in editorial.

Two initial, but very pressing questions:

- When performing a ripple delete, both FCP and PPRO move the timeline cursor/indicator when you perform a ripple delete - Smoke just leaves the indicator where it is, forcing you to re-navigate to where you left off. Really hoping to change this as - anybody know?

- Is it possible (it must be) to see thumbnails in the timeline for each clip? My timeline is a long string of gray shots with without reference thumbnails. Makes arranging shots in the timeline much more confusing.

Many thanks in advance - Harrison

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Timeline Interface in Smoke
on Jul 30, 2013 at 3:17:45 am

You might need to elaborate on number 1... Not sure I understand the issue with the positioner. There is a Focus Option in the timeline options that will cause the positioner to snap to a trim point. Not sure if that helps here.

There are Thumbnails in the timeline clips.you can hold the ' / ' key and hover your cursor over the clips inthe time line to see a thumbnail and metadata.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

harrison Schaaf
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:51:17 am

Copy that - the issue with number 1 is that when I set in/out points in the timeline, and perform a ripple delete, the playhead doesn't move - it just stays where it is, as all the clips shift in the timeline, instead of snapping back to where you set your in-point...very jarring coming from PPRO/FCP7...

Another issue...one thing that I am missing most from other NLE's is the equivalent of a ripple-cut, or Shift-X in FCP, or a ripple paste. (Shift-V)

I know you can just drag a selection of clips around in the timeline and have the rest of the clips ripple around them - but I am looking for a keyboard-only solution here...any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:15:04 am

Hi,

At the moment, Smoke does not move the positioner when you perform a ripple delete but I'll feed that back to the team.

As for Ripple cut and ripple paste, you should be able to do this. Ensure that RIPPLE is on -- SHIFT+R --- When you use copy and paste, that will perform the cut and paste and ripple the timeline at the same time. If RIPPLE is off than you will just get gaps in the timeline when you cut.

The other advise when doing this is to ensure that you turn on the track sync locks in the patch panel to ensure that all tracks ripple so nothing is thrown out of sync. These are the little arrow buttons located to the right of the padlock buttons in the patch panel.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]