FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke dpx sequences "flatter" than other software's dpxs of same quicktime

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Spivack
Smoke dpx sequences "flatter" than other software's dpxs of same quicktime
on May 22, 2013 at 7:07:48 pm

We are about to upgrade to '13 however this question could still be relevant for that.
In short, I exported a dpx sequence from a quicktime using Smoke, noticed that it looked flatter in color than the quicktime itself and decided to also export a dpx sequence using a different tool, something called "Glue Tools" with much more accurate results.
Here's exactly how I did it: Using Smoke, I connected a gateway to where the quicktime, a 422HQ ProRes file was. I dragged that over into a library I had made and then went to "Video I/O" to export. My dpx settings were "10-bit" and "linear" in regards to the color. We exported in Glue Tools also in 10-bit, but for the record I tested Smoke by using 16-bit and it didn't solve the problem.
In Glue Tools all you do is open the QT, command + e and selected "dpx sequence..." They have their own color options, we are always set to "10-bit Raw Image Data" "Automatic Colorspace".
Why is there such a difference here? Other than changing the "transfer characteristics" in Smoke, what could I do? And even then, isn't "linear" the correct choice? Smoke's version is not correct.
Thanks guys!
Josh

Return to posts index

David Jahns
Re: Smoke dpx sequences "flatter" than other software's dpxs of same quicktime
on May 31, 2013 at 12:47:03 am

My guess is that your Quicktime import settings are not correct - probably the "Include Headroom" option. Check your settings - in older versions of 2012, "Include YUV-HR" was the default, and I would quite often forgot to turn that off, and my QTs were wonky.

In 2013, and in the latest version of 2012, the default is to NOT Include YUV Headroom - I have not had any color space or gamma problems with 2013, or 2012, whenever I have those settings correct.

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on May 31, 2013 at 6:10:53 pm

110% correct David, thank you very much for your response. Nice to know what was causing that--it didn't seem like Smoke to do something any worse than an outside software. I wouldn't have figured this detail out without your help though, thank you again!

Josh

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on May 31, 2013 at 7:55:43 pm

no worries - Smoke can be a beast to figure out when you're just learning it. There's also settings for whether or not your KONA card is displaying Full Range (with Headroom) or Legal Range (without headroom).

I one time had DPX files rendered at Legal Range, (64-960 in 10bit), and I didn't have the card set properly for that, and I inadvertently gave it a double legal squeeze, resulting in flat looking footage.

Good luck - I usually check this forum a couple of times per week, so feel free to ask more questions if you need help!

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

robert coulin
on Jul 12, 2013 at 12:01:27 pm

also quicktime is not the most consistent format to deal with -
see test:
http://www.stopp.se/lab/?p=1621&cpage=1#comment-1982

robert