FORUMS: list search recent posts

Renders to Correct Drive, "stores local media" to incorrect drive

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Spivack
Renders to Correct Drive, "stores local media" to incorrect drive
on Dec 6, 2012 at 3:40:48 am

Smoke2012,SA2SP3
Today's mind teaser is this: I have a variety of dpx sequences that we want to play for a dailies session. We have them stored on a local network. I opened a gateway to that network and dragged the sequences I needed into my library while I marked "store local copy" so that Smoke would make it's own copies rather than link the my network. Linking could crash it altogether. I did notice upon moving the sequences over into the library, that a "pending render" was atop the clip making me feel good that it was indeed beginning to copy over.
However upon playback it's a bit jumpy. Sometimes it's fine, sometime's it's not. So I went to my localhost/backburner and saw that it was trying to write to a drive that doesn't even exist anymore, an external drive that used to be connected for rendering externally. See the error below or attachment_001:

biscuits-Mac-Pro.local [error] 0 CoFileIO_MACOSX.cpp:133 12/05/12:18:18:35.283 Could not determine file system type for '/Volumes/Baked_002/ManagedFolder1': No such file or directory.
[error] 0 CoFileIO_MACOSX.cpp:133 12/05/12:18:18:35.283 Could not determine fi

Attachment_002 clearly shows that the project is set to render (and thus I thought, write) to a drive installed into our mac called AutodeskMediaStorage. It does in fact render to this (I've rendered text layers) but without a doubt it's not writing. To be sure, I killed the directory connections, brought the project back up and the clips were there due to my rendering, but when I tried to change say the size of a clip it then went offline. How do I tell it to write these clips to the render drive, and can I do this without restarting the project?

Thank you much for your help.

Josh.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Renders to Correct Drive, "stores local media" to incorrect drive
on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:40:51 pm

Go into the Smoke Setup and you can manually remove the framestore. I had this happen to me once as well.

Under the storage tab, manualy edit the file in a text editor and find the name of the absent storage. You can comment it out.

Reboot and everything should be good.
I would delete the old "waiting" files in Backburner and select you clips in the library, TOOLS>STORE LOCAL COPY

and they should transfer then.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:49:45 pm

Thanks Brian.
I understood everything except using text editor to comment out the drive. You can see from the embedded attachment that at the top I have the drive I want it to store to, underneath it I have a random drive that really shouldn't be there, under that is the drive it's writing the dpx sequences to and underneath even that are other storage drives I've used as external drives (when space was limited on a project). I'd love it if I can simply hit "delete" but I obviously cannot find that. Even then what would prevent it from then writing the dpxs to one of these other drives--likely your text editing suggestion so if you have anyway to help me with that, that'd be great.
I have deleted everything from backburner and will see what happens when I go to tools in the library nonetheless. Thanks again.

Josh

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:53:31 pm

Select the drive that shouldn't be there. Actually, you can probably select any drive as they are all in the config file.

Choose MANUAL EDIT down at the bottom. This should open the config file in a text editor.

Comment out # the name and drive info for all of the drives that are no longer available to the software. Save and reboot.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:38:09 pm

Brian your help is instrumental, thank you again Sir.
It is working but I do have some related questions. First, a side note, simply selecting "store local copy" did not begin to write anything, it basically ignored the request, I think because Smoke thought it had already written the files. (The dpx sequences in the library were dark and didn't seem to indicate a soft unmanaged import. Which is discouraging cause I'd like Smoke to tell me then and there that it's unable to write to the drive it thinks it needs to.) When I selected "unstore" followed by "store" everything worked excellent. Sadly, this probably means I'll have to replace these clips from my library into my editing desk and onto my timeline since I don't think it'll update itself--that is to say my library will have managed media but my editdesk/record areas will have linked media.
Feel free to tell me differently.
My two, likely final follow-up questions are: Some of those drives on my media storage weren't erroneous. I set them up because we needed a place to render unmanaged media that would take like a TB render, so despite a lack of speed we set it up to an external drive (nothing had to be played back realtime). I still have these projects active and need them, but when I start up Smoke, I can't even select these drives where the projects live since I've commented them out. To bring them back, I presume I just comment them back in?
Related to this, is there a way to keep these drives available in general but have Smoke know to render/store media to whatever drive I am working in? That's all I want, ultimately. If I am in an external drive and tell Smoke to write dpxs somewhere for it to know to write AND render to that drive. With my current pipeline, if I were to need to open a project from an external drive I'd have to comment back in that drive evertime. I didn't even know Smoke could write to one drive and render to another in the first place, but that was what it was trying to do.

Thanks again,
Josh

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:52:51 pm

Not sure if the timeline will link up. you maybe right about linked vs store. You might be able to bring the sequence into a library, unklink it and relink via Gateway from Library. In other words, you can point the relink to a specific library for the clips.

OR... even better, Take you sequence and UNSTORE it in the library, and then STORE LOCAL. That will then restore those clips.

You didn't need to uncomment all of the drives... just the one that Smoke couldn't access. in other words if some are networked, and still accessible then you are fine. it was just the ones not mounted that was freaking out Backburner.

Comment them back in and you will be fine with your other projects.

I had the same issue, with my USB and FW drives I was using as framestores one time.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:58:26 pm

Thanks again. It's all worked. However, the whole purpose was to get it to playback without stutter step action and it still is haha. But I can confirm it's writing and not playing to network which means I won't crash anything, still the most important part of this.
I wonder if it's related to how Smoke is writing these dpx sequences. Thank you again for your help.

Josh

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:01:24 pm

I assume you can playback Stored Frames normally with no issues?
It's all drive speed and connection at this point.

I will say that if there are any other background frames processing it can impact performance. But once they are done, if your HW can handle it, it should be fine.

Don;t be runnign the web browser for Backburner either.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Dec 6, 2012 at 11:52:53 pm

It'll stutter-step when it plays the whole sequence, all of which are 1920x1080 dpx sequences that total a few minutes altogether. When I stop it on a clip it's stuttering on then and loop it it no longer stutters, so I wonder if there's a relationship. I may post this secondary issue now on the board since it was originally what led me to the mismanaged media. Thank you again Sir!

Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]