FORUMS: list search recent posts

smoke 2012 on hackintosh?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Bolton
smoke 2012 on hackintosh?
on Dec 5, 2012 at 5:31:31 pm

Are we allowed to discuss running smoke 2012 on hackintosh in this forum? Is anyone else doing so and wants to share experiences?

I have a legit license on legit apple hardware, but since there has been no new mac pros for so long and the smoke license is floating it seems to me to be a very obvious idea to have one "legit" config with the legit hardware for output and client sessions on a broadcast monitor and a second system with faster cpu and graphics but no video out for actually getting the work done. Then float the license at will between the two and reboot the fast box into windows for 3d / premiere pro etc when needed.

I've personally ran smoke 2012 on an older 6 core i7 ASUS motherboard with an Nvidia GTX 260 and it ran very well under 10.6.7.

I'd love to hear if anyone actually got a hackintosh going with kona3 and found it reliable, or even better got a newer motherboard with thunderbolt on board going and managed to get a Kona IO xt working.

If this is out of line to discuss, my bad and sorry...

-
Freelance: Flame - Smoke - Resolve - Nuke - VFX Supervision
Owner / Director: CoreMelt Plugins

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: smoke 2012 on hackintosh?
on Dec 7, 2012 at 5:34:44 pm

I think if this topic was forbidden, it would have been deleted. So, I think we can all assume it is ok to talk about a Smackintosh, until they start deleting threads. :)

I've heard it works relatively well. They key is building a good stable hackintosh first. I've even read about some people who have used a HP z800 for a hackintosh. But, as far as getting a Kona card, I would assume it would work, since most Kona cards can be used in a Mac or a PC. Also, I know people have gotten thunderbolt hackintoshes running without problems, so in theory the Kona IO xt should work.

OS 10.8 is much more hardware friendly then previous versions, so my guess is that the Kona cards would work in general, as long as you building a good stable Hackintosh, with a test motherboard.

Good Luck.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame
http://www.thereelthinginc.com

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Dec 10, 2012 at 10:42:00 am

Thanks, since my original post I've also managed to get a Dual Xeno Supermicro motherboard with GTX490 running under 10.6.7 and its stable so far for Smoke.

Haven't tried a 10.8 build yet or an Thunderbolt one, sometime early next year I'd like to try that.

-
Freelance: Flame - Smoke - Resolve - Nuke - VFX Supervision
Owner / Director: CoreMelt Plugins

Return to posts index

Tom Masters
on Jan 13, 2013 at 8:00:31 am

I can't speak to smoke Mac 2012, rather smoke Mac 2013..

On my hackintosh I've run the pre-release beta of smoke 2013, and now the released demo.
It runs great as far as the hardware / OS is concerned.
Runs and feels much like smoke Advanced Linux and current flame Premium Timeline (minus the extras)

Hackintoshes in general operate, and "feel" much like a MacPro, except a lot faster and cheaper.
I would assume smoke 2012 would run fine seeing as how all other apps (CS5, CS6, mocha, etc, etc)
are running just like they do on Mac Pro's.. never had a limitation because it wasn't a "real" Mac.

a great resource for building and configuring these systems is: http://www.tonymacx86.com

Return to posts index

Nagendra Moorthy
on Jun 23, 2014 at 9:54:14 am

Dear buddies... i have my new ASUS X550LC-XX039D, wanna make it Hackintosh to use Autodesk Smoke and FCP on it...

its going to be dual boot as WIN & MAC...

i have..
i5 4200U, 8GB, 2GB Nvidea GT720M + Intel HD4000....

will this idea work well???

please give me an idea to built my Hackintosh dear buddies....

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jun 23, 2014 at 4:26:33 pm

My understanding is that if you can get a good solid, stable Mac OS running on a system, then it should be ok for a Hackintosh.

Will it work well? I personally dont think so. At least no for anything more then doing the basics on it. If you are looking to do any serious compositing, that system is likely to slow to a crawl.

But, then again, most laptops aren't designed for compositing.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame
http://www.thereelthinginc.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]