FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drobo 5d for using autodesk smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sameer Shrivastava
Drobo 5d for using autodesk smoke
on Nov 25, 2012 at 1:02:15 pm

Hi

I was thinking of Purchasing Drobo 5D to be used with MBP for autodesk smoke.

http://www.drobo.com/products/professionals/drobo-5d/index.php

I mainly intend to do work with HD or 2k Footage.

But the posted Benchmarks are confusing. They claim it will give very good speed for small files. but average or below average speed for Big files.

I was intending to purchase the Drobo 5d and populate with 3 HDD. (Not SSD).

But the posted benchmarks for big files is around 300MBPS when the drives are empty. (for 5 drives)

For HD Data IO for 25fps files is abt 200MBPS. So i guess the drive should atleast provide 250MBPS for playback at all times.

Another thing is, Since smoke saves each individual frames as 1 DPX file. Drobo 5d may be really good with it.

If any body has any experiance with drobo 5d and autodesk smoke, pls advice what speeds do u get.

Promise r6 is an option but that also is too expensive.

I was thininking of using 2 cxLacie 2big disk and stripe them as raid0 otherwise

Please advice what i should go for

1. Promise R6
2. Drobo 5D
3. Couple of Lacie 2 Big thunderbolt striped as raid 0

Thanks

SAMEER S.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Drobo 5d for using autodesk smoke
on Nov 25, 2012 at 9:00:44 pm

Drobo's are good for backup storage, not for video editing. While the 5D does claim to be capable of photo/video editing according to their website, I've never known Drobo to build boxes for fast storage for editing/vfx. They are great at cheap backup storage though, easily expandable, and simple to setup. However, I don't think I would want to edit consistently off of one.

Promise, Lacie, Small Tree, Active Storage, etc are where I'd put my video files if I'm working in Smoke....especially if your business has client supervised sessions. You can't afford to skimp on storage if you're going to have the client sitting over your shoulder. If you're just looking to learn Smoke or work on personal projects, then you can take your own chances!

Just my $.02

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]